Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

gtx 970 coil whine ?( GTX970 discussion thread)

I am excited when The GTX 970 is released . Seeing it is tromping my GTX 660 SLI setup at way less power . I Fugure I can sell My 2 cards and get one 970 for a reasonalbe price . BUT what I am seeing on the 970 is a lot of the cards from EVGA, Zotac , and even MSI are experencing Coil whine under load . ( Google 970 coil whine )
    I am wondering if anyone here is experencing any of this ? I am also wondering if anyone can explain what is the cause ?
    Are manufactures just cheeping out on their builds or what ?

I have yet to buy a 970 so also wondering if maybe one brand is better then others . I am curently eyeballing a Asus 970 but because of all the coil whine I am reading about it is making me second guess if I even want to upgrade . Last thing I want is trade in my 2 660s for a problem child release .
    Last edited by brothergc; 10-11-2014 at 08:08 PM.
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Re: gtx 970 coil whine ?

I got the Gigabyte gtx 970 Windforce and under max load I hear zero coil whine. The card is absolutely phenomenal in all aspects. It is very long however, almost 11 inches.

well that whine, is pretty common on high the high end cards. So its kinda something you have to get used to.

Quote Originally Posted by arbiter1 View Post
    well that whine, is pretty common on high the high end cards. So its kinda something you have to get used to.
    uh no , i have owned many generations of nvidia cards and this is the 1st I have ever even heard of such a thing. Get used to it ? How about RMA it !

I haven't heard anything about coil whine on the 970 cards at all, but then again, I'm not in the market for a 970 card or cards at the moment.

The most typical coil whine I hear of is from the PSU. When I was running two 7970's in x-fire the PSU buzzed like crazy when I was benchmarking. With the stock VGA coolers being what they are today, the coil whine from the GPU would have to be really bad to be noticeable. I get a little bit from my OC'd 7970, but can only hear it because it is water cooled. I ordered a Zotac GTX 970 yesterday, I'll report back when it arrives.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    The most typical coil whine I hear of is from the PSU. When I was running two 7970's in x-fire the PSU buzzed like crazy when I was benchmarking. With the stock VGA coolers being what they are today, the coil whine from the GPU would have to be really bad to be noticeable. I get a little bit from my OC'd 7970, but can only hear it because it is water cooled. I ordered a Zotac GTX 970 yesterday, I'll report back when it arrives.
    ok , I will Look forward to your feedback !

Looks like MSI has joined the coil whine ranks see many people complaining of coil whine even on their gaming 970 cards .
    And speaking of cards these seem to be hard to find . Have my eye on the asus strix or the gigabyte one with the back plate . MSI offers NO back plate so guess I am not going the MSI route . Shame because all of my last 5 cards have been MSI and they have been flawless . The Asus has the price point I like but the Gigabyte seems more beefy . Aslo eye balling the amp edition 970 from zotac just not sure about that manufacturer . Anyone care to chime in on the 3 I am referring to here ? feedback appreciated !

As for ASUS videocards I can tell you this much about ASUS GeForce cards, I'm running a pair of ASUS GeForce GTX 760's in SLI and don't have any trouble out of them at all, no matter what game I throw at them, including Skyrim and Diablo 3. I'm planning on getting a 144Hz gaming monitor sometime within the next few months, otherwise I would try and get the ASUS 970 card.

I wouldn't get Gigabyte, there's a big mess going on over at Guru3D concerning the WindForce 780 cards, artifacting and overheating and it's widely known over there and on other forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    As for ASUS videocards I can tell you this much about ASUS GeForce cards, I'm running a pair of ASUS GeForce GTX 760's in SLI and don't have any trouble out of them at all, no matter what game I throw at them, including Skyrim and Diablo 3. I'm planning on getting a 144Hz gaming monitor sometime within the next few months, otherwise I would try and get the ASUS 970 card.

I wouldn't get Gigabyte, there's a big mess going on over at Guru3D concerning the WindForce 780 cards, artifacting and overheating and it's widely known over there and on other forums.
    probably will go with the Asus seeing it is a little cheeper and I do not overclock vid cards ever so why pay the premium of the gigabyte.
    just wish my 2 GTX 660s would sell

My ASUS GTX 760's are factory overclocked, and when I start up a game they go in to overclock mode, otherwise I don't mess with overclocking one bit, and don't see a need for it. The cards aren't so overclocked that they artifact on me.

Well I got my 970 today.. what an ordeal. I uninstalled the amd drivers and pulled my water cooled 7970, installed new 970. Turned on power and waited... waited.. waited a long time. No video. Turns out there is a setting in my mobo bios that really does not like this video card. Hard to troubleshoot with no effin video output. I'm darn glad I have a few spare video cards laying about. I'm back in windows now but since the OS went kablooey a few times my 3TB RAID1 needs to rebuild itself. This takes 8+ hours. Not going to be benchmarking anytime soon. Right now my CPU is running at bone stock speeds. Every time I try to adjust the OC I end up back at square 1. What a pain. Hopefully be able to report on coil whine sometime before the end of the week.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Scooter ,
    Wondering which model of the Zotack 970 did you get ? I see they offer 3 different versions . The amp omega looks cool
    Last edited by brothergc; 10-07-2014 at 08:17 AM.

According to what they're saying in the forums at Guru3D the coil whine is a loud cooling fan on the 970's, nothing wrong with GPU, or another component in one's system.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    According to what they're saying in the forums at Guru3D the coil whine is a loud cooling fan on the 970's, nothing wrong with GPU, or another component in one's system.
    like this ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffVqmYdfCCc
    or how about this ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP73edpQwgc

fans my A** LOL !