Dual Boot - for before distro noob !

OK .... long story short .... had pieces/parts laying around and decided to assemble a pc after reading about linux ....
    not wanting to purchase another windows license .... linux is the alternative .... have less than zero expierience ....
    downloaded and tried several .... short of this is my daughter likes Mint 17 Cinnamon and i like openSUSE KDE ....
    read way too many dual boot instructions from 2001, 2004 , and nothing more current .... please may i have assistance in creating this setup .... parts i used are Abit NF7S motherboard, AMD Barton core 2500, 500gb (sata) hdd, 320gb (sata) hdd, older ATI radeon card, 2gb memory, creative SB, CDRW, DVDRW, 3.5 floppy, ls120 zip (just because i had it), multi-card reader. As always, thank you for your support.

'Folding - For the Born and the Unborn'
    'FaD - For Our Children and Their Children'

Re: Dual Boot - for before distro noob !

I think, if you install openSUSE first, then install Mint, it should ask you if you want to install it "Side-by-side" with X and if you choose that, it'll setup the dual boot stuff for you.

You might want to give Mint 17 XFCE a chance. Given the older specs, you'd have "smoother" experience than running the heavier Cinnamon. XFCE still looks pretty good and its much lighter on specs.

Re: Dual Boot - for before distro noob !

Usually any Linux distro will be able to automatically detect other OS and add it to the menu.

For some reason MS still refuses to acknowledge any other OS can possibly exist and must be installed first.
    What A-holes