Curiosity Questions

This may be picayune, but I'd thought I'd ask:

1. Dream System: Is there a compelling reason the 980 GTX is not selected?

and to a lesser extent

2. High End: Ibid the 5930K or 5820K?

It's just that I think these are really competitive possibilities and I'm curious as to the decisions.
    (I'm also GPU shopping- ;D ).
    American Public Education Made Me Ignorant and MSM Keeps Me Stupid.

Reality: Playground for the unimaginative.

Re: Curiosity Questions

Because the timelords have not gifted me with the ability to have as much time in the day as I need to get everything done. :P

I am just getting a 980 up there now, the 4970K will probably stay for now. There are several reasons for that, not least of which is the cost. The High End is trying to stay around the $1200 mark and right now 5820K + trimmed Z99 + cheapest 16GB DDR4 is around $850 which really cuts down on the budget available for the GPU. I'm not saying you shouldn't consider getting a Haswell-E but for gaming you are not going to see much of an increase in performance for dropping that extra money.

As the memory and board prices become more reasonable over time then you bet a Haswell-E will appear on the HWLB, those extra PCIe lanes are very attractive.

Now back to deciding if I am getting the 980 up there or this one - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HS866AK/?tag=pcper04-20
    Last edited by molestedbyasus; 10-02-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Re: Curiosity Questions

Quote Originally Posted by molestedbyasus View Post
    Because the timelords have not gifted me with the ability to have as much time in the day as I need to get everything done. :P

I am just getting a 980 up there now, the 4970K will probably stay for now. There are several reasons for that, not least of which is the cost. The High End is trying to stay around the $1200 mark and right now 5820K + trimmed Z99 + cheapest 16GB DDR4 is around $850 which really cuts down on the budget available for the GPU. I'm not saying you shouldn't consider getting a Haswell-E but for gaming you are not going to see much of an increase in performance for dropping that extra money.

As the memory and board prices become more reasonable over time then you bet a Haswell-E will appear on the HWLB, those extra PCIe lanes are very attractive.

Now back to deciding if I am getting the 980 up there or this one - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HS866AK/?tag=pcper04-20
    Yeah I get that. I think I'd have opted for the more eficient 980, but I think this is an apples and oranges thing.

I also don't think PCI lanes are that big of a deal so, so I'm leaning 5820. Regardless, I'm tracking your reasoning. I tap the leader board and a couple of other sites for ideas when I'm in the market. So thanks.

Had a friend in Laramie whose name is Josh too. Went to school there. Also good to see someone pulling suds on video too.
    American Public Education Made Me Ignorant and MSM Keeps Me Stupid.