Budgeting a new monitor

So I'm new to the whole building a gaming computer, and absolutely having a ball.
    However, I'm starting small as I'm a poor year 12 student and Australia's component prices are more expensive and so I'm trying to build a cheap Gaming PC that can still run better then my HP Pavilion p6 Series.
    I'm looking at about $680 and in the future plan to budget in new monitor(s).

What's a good quality monitor that's not too expensive.
    At the moment I have 2 different monitors, but I don't like the look of them and they are rather crappy (Come with cheap computers).

Can you give me a run down on the benefit of having better monitors as I'm not quite familiar with the benefits of monitors for gaming.

Re: Budgeting a new monitor

A better monitor will look better when you play games (if you have a powerful PC, why not use it's potential?) and will have less latency between the signal from the computer to you seeing it displayed on the monitor. If you play a lot of first-person shooters or other games that require a fast response time, you'll want a lower latency monitor (lower milliseconds, or ms).

As far as quality goes, a better monitor will have nicer colors, a good pixel density, and overall look a lot nicer than any cheapy one you might buy. Like I said, if you're gonna go for a decent gaming PC, you might as well have a monitor to see the quality your computer's pushing out!

Hope this helps,
    Gavin
    My username is "Gaveroid" on both Steam and Origin. Feel free to send me a friend request and we can play some games together! Also, why don't you check out my website while you're at it, listed below?

http://www.Gaveroid.com