CPU folding keeps crashing

hey everyone, got a new 5960x today, but have noticed that even at stock speeds it flips between ready and running for a bit and then eventually says failed and the log shows:

WARNING:WU03:FS00:FahCore returned: UNSTABLE_MACHINE (122 = 0x7a)

i dont quite understand because this thing is stable as can be, and isnt even overclocked. temps are ~34C

any ideas?

Re: CPU folding keeps crashing

Tried rebooting, reinstalling, clearing work, clearing core...nothing

Noticed it was failing instantly before even starting to actually fold so I had the bright idea to reduce threads from 14 (16-2 for 2 gpus) back to 12, and it fired right up and started chugging along. It appears either the SMP client, core a4, or project 7809 is not a fan of more than 12 threads.

I have 2 questions.

First, do I need to leave 1 CPU thread for each GPU with Nvidia, or does that only apply to AMD cards?

Second, since I can't get SMP to run with more than 12 threads should I split the 14 (or 16 if I don't need to save 2 for GPUs) in half and run 2 seperate cpu slots? Will that even work?

Trying to maximize folding potential.

Quote Originally Posted by OddGaffer View Post
    I have 2 questions.

First, do I need to leave 1 CPU thread for each GPU with Nvidia, or does that only apply to AMD cards?

Second, since I can't get SMP to run with more than 12 threads should I split the 14 (or 16 if I don't need to save 2 for GPUs) in half and run 2 seperate cpu slots? Will that even work?

Trying to maximize folding potential.
    How are you folding at present ?

Are you using the FAH client ?

If you are, I believe the client automatically "reserves" threads for GPU.

Personally, I'd skip CPU folding on the rig I GPU fold on.

Separate rigs would yield the most PPD's.

I understand cost is an issue (it is for me anyway) but if you are going for max PPD, that is how you would go about it.

Unfortunately ive only got one rig, so seperate isn't an option. And yes, I'm using the latest GUI client. 7.4.4 or whatever. Hate to waste any threads, but if it is reserving 2, then I only have 14 and being limited to 12 isn't so bad. If I had the full 16 available and could only use 12 that would be worse. Thanks!

Does anyone else keep getting WUs from project 1300 on their GPU? Seems that since I started getting them my TPF more than doubled and my pod dropped through the floor. Want to be sure it's the WUs and not an issue on my end.

Quote Originally Posted by OddGaffer View Post
    Does anyone else keep getting WUs from project 1300 on their GPU? Seems that since I started getting them my TPF more than doubled and my pod dropped through the floor. Want to be sure it's the WUs and not an issue on my end.
    If you mean 13xxx series...Yes I have gotten them, and yes PPD tanks

ok good, wanted to make sure it wasnt something on my end. When my cpu was set to 14 threads and was instantly failing, it returned like 120 failed WUs and I was worried that my QRB got screwed up, but if it's normal then all is well.