System powers off by itself????

I built a friend a system in 2012, nothing crazy just a dual core AMD CPU, Gigabyte micro ATX board, 8GB's of ram. He brought it back to me about 2 weeks ago and said it was shutting down on him. I tested and got the same thing. It was powering off with no warning but since I installed a new Mobo and PSU it powers off but the message windows is shutting down. It's Win7 and I've never had a problem like this. Only thing left to swap is ram or CPU and in over 10 years of playing around with computers I've never seen a bad CPU.

Any input or advice would greatly appreciated..
    Gigabyte 890XA UD3, Phenom II X6 1090T,4Ghz 2600nb w/Corsair H50, 2x2GB and 2x4GB GSKILL FLARE 1800Mhz DDR3, PNY GTX570, OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB SSD, Intel X25 80GB SSD, Klipsch ProMedia 4.1, ASUS DVDRW, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair 650W Professional series, Hanspree 26" widescreen, Cyborg R.A.T 5/Cyborg Gaming keyboard, Win7 64 Ultimate

Re: System powers off by itself????

I just formatted the Hard Drive and reinstalled Windows. It made it all the way through the install and loaded Win7 then while trying to change the resolution windows came up and shut it down, "windows is shutting down"..

I may have to try a CPU, the ram would blue screen me, no?
    Gigabyte 890XA UD3, Phenom II X6 1090T,4Ghz 2600nb w/Corsair H50, 2x2GB and 2x4GB GSKILL FLARE 1800Mhz DDR3, PNY GTX570, OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB SSD, Intel X25 80GB SSD, Klipsch ProMedia 4.1, ASUS DVDRW, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair 650W Professional series, Hanspree 26" widescreen, Cyborg R.A.T 5/Cyborg Gaming keyboard, Win7 64 Ultimate

Its down to RAM or CPU. I tried a different HD and it still shutdown. If it was RAM I would expect a BSOD. It is now just shutting right off, no warning.

run memory86 on it.

http://www.memtest.org/

ud

I'll give that a try if it will run long enough. Thnx ud....

you can always test individual sticks. quite often the bad stick won't even post on it's own.

ud

I would also try using a different hard drive. Keep us posted.

Hope this helps.

Check your temps in Bios and see whether there are any shutdown options in connection with those and I'd also try to test the system without any power saving features on.

I would think this is a classic Overheating issue. If it shuts down without any freezing it is a kill feature by the MB to keep something from dying. Overheating or overvolting.

Eminence, I've overheated plenty of times and just got the ole' BSOD on Windows 7. I think it must be a system component; Overvolting could be it, Windows must be detecting hardware unstability. Just out of curiosity, does anything happen when you maybe put a USB stick flashed with Linux on there (preferably Ubuntu, most polished)? Try replacing the RAM or CPU, all I can think of. Windows wouldn't be shutting down on itself if it wasn't detecting something wrong. It's not been overclocked, correct?
    My username is "Gaveroid" on both Steam and Origin. Feel free to send me a friend request and we can play some games together! Also, why don't you check out my website while you're at it, listed below?

http://www.Gaveroid.com

I had a similar thing happen to a netbook once. It ran Win XP fine with 2gb's (2 1gb sticks) just fine. Upon trying to install Win 7, the system would make it about halfway through the install and come up with an error leading to a shutdown. Eventually I tracked it down to one of the ram sticks and installed Win 7 fine. I then put the other stick back in and Win 7 started the same random shutdown that that OP is having.

What threw me was the fact that it always ran XP just fine with both sticks. It wasn't until I tried to install Win 7 that the problems started. To this day the netbook is still running fine (albeit slowly) with just the one stick.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

Quote Originally Posted by AMD Fanatic View Post
    I built a friend a system in 2012, nothing crazy just a dual core AMD CPU, Gigabyte micro ATX board, 8GB's of ram. He brought it back to me about 2 weeks ago and said it was shutting down on him. I tested and got the same thing. It was powering off with no warning but since I installed a new Mobo and PSU it powers off but the message windows is shutting down. It's Win7 and I've never had a problem like this. Only thing left to swap is ram or CPU and in over 10 years of playing around with computers I've never seen a bad CPU.

Any input or advice would greatly appreciated..
    AMD Fanatic > What PC Case did you use for this build?

Since it goes into the "Windows is Shutting Down" mode, that is usually triggered when the Power Button is pressed. Their could be an issue with the power switch button that get stuck.

Check the connection pin to the motherboard. Try dissambling the power button where you end up with the switch only and start it that way and see if the issue still occurs.

Let us know if your issue has been resolved.
    If you have photos, share them too.

Thanks
    GamerTag: CrossNeon - Steam Profile
    Twitch: Twitch.tv/PHOPROJECT
    BuildSpecs: EVGA Mods Rigs
    Internet Connection: 1.32Mbps/0.59Mbps 104ms

Namespro.ca - Canadian owned domain service provider. CIRA certified registrar.
    GTribe PC Giveaway : Preregister to be entered as they are announced. Many drawn this year. See you there!