Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Changes to QRB? lower PPD WU? I'm lost

Just trying to figure out why for the past 5 days my PPD has been so low. With these same two cards i was typically pulling ~470K-525K PPD, but for the last 5 days I'm averaging under 390K. I'm not counting the 250K day on the 19th because that was due to me being dumb and forgetting to unpause folding after gaming. maybe it's just bad luck on WU, but it's starting to annoy me. I'm getting almost entirely core 17 WUs i believe, but i dont know how to look back to see if i've been getting core 15s while i sleep or if ive been getting those low PPD 13XXX WUs. just want to make sure its not something on my end because my 92XX WU's which typically estimate 250K+ PPD each are only estimating 180K. im probably being paranoid, but If I'm not on my A game, I'll never catch mmettin...and what fun would that be

Edit: Totally off topic, but i just noticed the "First record" data on EOC for the first time. April 23 2005. day before my birthday, and given my age, that would mean i first started folding right before I turned 16. I was such a wee lad. hah
    Last edited by OddGaffer; 10-25-2014 at 12:53 PM.

Re: Changes to QRB? lower PPD WU? I'm lost

No changes to the QRB as far as I know; at least on the GPU side of things.

I'm not home, but my 1 rig has gotten a lot of 13xxx WU's so my PPD isn't as consistent as I would like it to be.

If I was in your shoes, I'd try a reboot and see if the PPD goes to where you expect it to be.

And I fully expect you to pass me, probably sooner than later as you are out producing me

on

Eventually I will, assuming we both continue to produce at reasonably consistant rates, but i've still got a 38M difference to overcome . Tried rebooting, no change, i'll just assume its those 13XXX wu's messing things up until i find evidence to the contrary. btw, <3 you mmettin

I understand that folding stands for bitcoin mining or something similar, but aside from that I was clueless as to what you guys were talking about.

Care to clue me in? I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by holytoledo View Post
    I understand that folding stands for bitcoin mining or something similar, but aside from that I was clueless as to what you guys were talking about.

Care to clue me in? I'm curious.
    Short answer, distributed computing model to find cures to various diseases.

Sort of like "mining" but normally no monetary gain.

Long answer, see the following URL
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

oic. Thank you.

I think I win the bonehead of the year award. I just opened cpu-z and say my cpu was at 1200mhz under full load. Turns out I must've hit the switch on the board that locks the multiplier at 12 over a week ago when I was installing cable extensions. The switch is right next to the 24 pin. Perhaps having my 5960x at 1.2 ghz instead of my normal 3.8 ghz would explain my drop in PPD, don't you think?

I'm dumb. Can't believe I didn't notice this for over a week. It would have had to have happened then because I haven't even had my case open since then. I cannot emphasize enough how hard I fail.

Ha! I'm just surprised such a switch exists in the first place. Glad you got it figured out though!

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

so yea, it seems that made a pretty big difference. the 3 days ive been folding non stop have resulted in the following 24 hour totals:

I'd say thats back in line with where i should be

First Wu here was on 02/16/2005 I was also around 16 at the time! :P
    Last edited by Pc geek; 11-07-2014 at 02:10 AM.

its a shame how much our community has shrunk since those days. This whole forum, and especially the pond, used to be a thriving community, now this whole board is a ghost town. I blame cryptocurrency mining and the fact that the old AAF machines are no longer powerful enough to be worth running, and havent been for some time...at least the ones I remember the specs of.

Anyway, side story, I've never been so happy that I run primochill pure intensified clear coolant in my loop...I had a leak spring up when i had the side of my case to look at something, and accidentally knocked a hose loose with my rolling chair (my pc is right next to my chair). anyway, unlike previous "non-conductive" coolants that become fully conductive as soon as the leak and pick up dust, this stuff seemed to just become slightly conductive/capacative. it was enough to short my board out at the time and keep it from booting, but despite being thoroughly doused while powered on, once it dried out everything is back working without issue. It was SERIOUSLY wet too, the bottom GPU had puddles of the coolant under the VRAM chips and everywhere else.. I blew it all out with compressed air (same on the motherboard) and left the whole machine drying in front of a box fan from around 10 pm EST on 11/6 until around 10PM last night (11/8), and to my great surprise and joy, when I plugged it back in it same right to life...cmos had of course been cleared but, the motherboard and both GPUs which had been so thoroughly soaked while powered on that I had virtually no hopes of seeing them alive again, sprang right into action and have been folding at full speed since then without issue!

I read a review of this stuff that claimed a similar experience, but I wrote it off because I figured it was like every other "non-conductive" coolant out there where as soon as it gets out of the loop and picks up a little bit of dust, its just as conductive as tap water, but I have been pleasantly surprised.

BACK TO FOLDING, FULL SPEED AHEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by OddGaffer View Post
    its a shame how much our community has shrunk since those days. This whole forum, and especially the pond, used to be a thriving community, now this whole board is a ghost town. I blame cryptocurrency mining and the fact that the old AAF machines are no longer powerful enough to be worth running, and havent been for some time...at least the ones I remember the specs of.

As far as the community goes, I've been around and folding for a long time (5/9/04 according to EOC) and yea, its dropped off so much since then. I believe its more a symptom of the overall decline in forum traffic than anything F@H related. Forums like this just aren't as important as they were 10 or 15 years ago. PC building still isn't "mainstream" but its so much more accessible to people that they don't NEED help from forums anymore. Things plug and play, no more arcane IRQ tables or swapping bios chips, just plug it all in and away you go. And of course I haven't said anything about the changes in the way people consume content anymore, with all the video tutorials these days. It doesn't help us in particular that F@H is and always will be a "luxury" for people. The hardware to stay relevant is expensive, and the power to run it is just as big of a consideration. With the '08-'09 recession I wonder how many people just shut it down and never thought to come back... Its a shame, but thats life.

Anyway, side story, I've never been so happy that I run primochill pure intensified clear coolant in my loop...I had a leak spring up when i had the side of my case to look at something, and accidentally knocked a hose loose with my rolling chair (my pc is right next to my chair). anyway, unlike previous "non-conductive" coolants that become fully conductive as soon as the leak and pick up dust, this stuff seemed to just become slightly conductive/capacative. it was enough to short my board out at the time and keep it from booting, but despite being thoroughly doused while powered on, once it dried out everything is back working without issue. It was SERIOUSLY wet too, the bottom GPU had puddles of the coolant under the VRAM chips and everywhere else.. I blew it all out with compressed air (same on the motherboard) and left the whole machine drying in front of a box fan from around 10 pm EST on 11/6 until around 10PM last night (11/8), and to my great surprise and joy, when I plugged it back in it same right to life...cmos had of course been cleared but, the motherboard and both GPUs which had been so thoroughly soaked while powered on that I had virtually no hopes of seeing them alive again, sprang right into action and have been folding at full speed since then without issue!

I read a review of this stuff that claimed a similar experience, but I wrote it off because I figured it was like every other "non-conductive" coolant out there where as soon as it gets out of the loop and picks up a little bit of dust, its just as conductive as tap water, but I have been pleasantly surprised.

Not that I mean to discount your experience, but I still think DI water is the best option all around. Most of these "non-conductive" fluids ARE just DI water anyway. All will eventually pick up ions and become conductive, but at least they don't have significant additives that get left behind upon drying, which is an issue with any other coolants with gunk in them... as they dry they leave things behind that could potentially conduct or just generally gum things up. Still, glad to hear there wasn't any damage!

BACK TO FOLDING, FULL SPEED AHEAD!
    Now that its getting colder out again, I'm right there with you... now if only I could get both 290X's to run F@H without coming home to hard-locks and confetti screens

Trust me, I do science

You think it's heat on those 290x's? Are they in the same machine, and thus limiting each other's airflow by being close together? Your ppd would go through the roof if you added dual 290x cards. If it's heat, the only options I can think of would be down clocking or aftermarket cooling of some sort.

I've found that all the message boards I frequent have died off in the past few years, everything from animation based boards, to paintball boards, to pc boards.

You think it's heat on those 290x's? Are they in the same machine, and thus limiting each other's airflow by being close together? Your ppd would go through the roof if you added dual 290x cards. If it's heat, the only options I can think of would be down clocking or aftermarket cooling of some sort.

I've found that all the message boards I frequent have died off in the past few years, everything from animation based boards, to paintball boards, to pc boards.
    In the O-Dog's case, both his cards are under water cooling in a custom loop

My belief is crappy AMD drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    In the O-Dog's case, both his cards are under water cooling in a custom loop

My belief is crappy AMD drivers.
    Correct, probably on both points... I've done a lot of troubleshooting and have ruled out as much of the hardware as I can, I've reformatted and tried multiple drivers to no avail. The one thing I will say that gives me some pause, is that I have tested F@H on each card individually, and while that is pretty much 100% stable on one card (the secondary card), the other card (top card) does occasionally lock up when it runs F@H by itself. I'm not sure if thats indicative of a hardware problem or if it has anything to do with the fact that its the primary card driving all the outputs or what. I could swap them out and try again, but thats a loop drain and fill. Kind of a PITA

Trust me, I do science