Do I need a video card?

I am building the Mid Range Sys with an i5-4690K processor and a MSI Z97M-G43 Mobo.

My only use for the system will be to build Train Simulator locomotive and freight car models, plus a little internet and Email stuff. I will do no gaming and have no need of good frame rates. This build may be overkill for what I do, but I want a fast Puter, especially for rendering.

I have read that onboard video is getting better so I am wondering, do I even need a video card for this build? If not, I had just as soon save a few bucks and reduce the builds complexity.

Thanks for any advice, Bill

Re: Do I need a video card?

Wow, so many replies.

Let me try this again from a different direction. What would I gain by adding a video card? Would I see more detail, better color, or anything like that, or just a better frame rate?

Thanks again, Bill

Quote Originally Posted by F4Driver View Post
    Wow, so many replies.

Let me try this again from a different direction. What would I gain by adding a video card? Would I see more detail, better color, or anything like that, or just a better frame rate?

Thanks again, Bill
    Welcome to the forums.

In order to give you any ideas, we would need some more details about you monitor situation, what the state of your system is currently.

Do you do any rendering currently ? What program(s) are you using if any ?

Intel quicksync? Nvidia, AMD ?

What resolutions are you looking to render? any transcoding ?

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

In order to give you any ideas, we would need some more details about you monitor situation, what the state of your system is currently.

Do you do any rendering currently ? What program(s) are you using if any ?

Intel quicksync? Nvidia, AMD ?

What resolutions are you looking to render? any transcoding ?
    mmettin,
    Thank you for your interest.
    I presently have a Samsung 19” square 940bx monitor set at 1280 x 1024, but an thinking about getting a Viewsonic VX2370SMH-LED 23” diagonal. Afraid I don’t know what you mean by “state of my system”

Only rendering I am doing it to view my 3D TrainSim models after building them. Am running Win 7/64, building the models in 3D Canvas, and viewing them in MicroSoft Train Simulator (MSTS).

I suppose the video would be Intel because am talking about built in graphics. Am giving thought to adding a Saphire Radeon R7 265 Dual-X board.

Can not set the resolution I render, and have no idea of what transcoding is.

My question was meant to be as general question. Generally what difference would a separate video card make? Genera;;y would it give better detail, better color, faster frame rates, or all of the above? I have no need of fast frame rates, but good detail is important for my 82 year old eyes.

Hope I gave you enough Info, and thanks for any advice.

Bill

In this particular case, I'd lean towards a cheap(er) GPU as I'm still not happy with the state of built-in units.

I'd lean towards a R7-260x (less than 150.00) should be all you would need.

Just don't go too cheap on the GPU or you won't get better performance than your igpu, or just better.

F4Driver > I am not familiar with the 3D software that you are using. From what I could find, the MSTS is not new and the system requirements are pretty low. That's the first thing you want to look at. Key features in the Video specs that specify improvement with particular GPU (PhyX ~ Nvidia, Pixel Shader 3.0, PCIe, etc.).

To me, it doesn't seem like you will be doing any high rendering. You will probably be fine with integrated GPU (Intel or APU/AMD). From my experience, here's some key elements to help you decide:

+ Lower-end/integrated GPU (on-board)
    - Basic shaders (can seem dull)
    - Image rendering can take time
    - Software may crash if trying to access non-compatible instructions (X on video or strange blue screen)
    - Support OpenGL/OpenCL
    - 3D Printer Models (e.i. AutoCad)
    - Blueprints (architectural software)
    - Basic simulators
    - DirectX 7.0a API
    - 32MB RAM (less than 1GB)

+ Discrete GPU (separate card)
    - Improve rendering time
    - Improve graphic physics (lighting, shine, fx)
    - Improve shader quality (special surface texture)
    - More realistic Ray-Tracing
    - Support various video technologies (PhyX, DirectX9/10/11, CUDA, etc)
    - 3D Game Engine (various lighting effects)
    - Fluid Simulator (a lot of animation that requires graphic physics)
    - Stereoscopic (overlay, etc.)
    - Multi-Display
    - Pixel Shader 3.0
    - PhyX
    - CUDA
    - PCIe (separate card slot)

Note: I wouldn't get the "K" model of the CPU if you don't plan on doing any overclocking. For your usage, stock should be fine.
    Your motherboard seems a little too high-end. See if you can find a version lower as that one is more aimed at gamers or higher-performance discrete GPU users (some overclocking). Compare the features that you want. If you seek to use M.2, a lower version may not have that.

I hope this helps!
    Cheers!
    Cross_Neon (YTECH) on Steam and TeamSpeak
    PHO Project: Twitch.tv/PHOPROJECT

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-740QM 45nm, 6MB L3 Cache, 1.73GHz
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) 1333Mhz DDR3 SODIMM CL9
    Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 285M 1GB GDDR3
    Operating System: Windows 7 PRO 64 bit
    Internet Connection: 1.32Mbps/0.59Mbps 104ms

Namespro.ca - Canadian owned domain service provider. CIRA certified registrar.
    GTribe PC Giveaway : Preregister to be entered as they are announced. Many drawn this year. See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by F4Driver View Post
    mmettin,

Only rendering I am doing it to view my 3D TrainSim models after building them. Am running Win 7/64, building the models in 3D Canvas, and viewing them in MicroSoft Train Simulator (MSTS).
    [...]

Can not set the resolution I render, and have no idea of what transcoding is.
    [...]

Bill
    Searching for the 3D Canvas website, it brings me to http://amabilis.com

I would get a discrete GPU if you plan on using the 3DCrafter Pro to make better use of the POV-Ray raytracing engine. It may still work fine with the integrated GPU, but the final result may not look too good.

You will be fine with the new monitor. If you plan on using 2 or more displays, a discrete GPU is suggested (more video ports).
    As for transcoding, I believe mmettin talks about video editing or converting video into other type of formats. I don't think you should worry about that.

Cheers!
    Cross_Neon (YTECH) on Steam and TeamSpeak
    PHO Project: Twitch.tv/PHOPROJECT

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-740QM 45nm, 6MB L3 Cache, 1.73GHz
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) 1333Mhz DDR3 SODIMM CL9
    Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 285M 1GB GDDR3
    Operating System: Windows 7 PRO 64 bit
    Internet Connection: 1.32Mbps/0.59Mbps 104ms

Namespro.ca - Canadian owned domain service provider. CIRA certified registrar.
    GTribe PC Giveaway : Preregister to be entered as they are announced. Many drawn this year. See you there!

Thanks for the information and opinions guys.

Got the new puter running and am very pleased with it so far. Am presently using the onboard graphics, cuz I thought I would give it a try, and it is much better than I expected. Being as even a little image improvement is important with the close work I do, I have decided to put in a Sapphire R7 265 Dual-X (highly recommended by MaximumPC magazine).

VTech - the 3DCrafter Pro is the equivalent to Win 8, so many of us are still using the earlier 3DCanvas cuz it is the Win XP of the family.

Thanks again guys, Bill

I can't justify not at least having a $75 discreet card. The rendering from the train program should render faster. Other processes you run will go faster as well. ~TIME IS MONEY FRIEND!~