Cheap sulotion for Skype, Email, and Browser

I am looking for a solution that will make it possible to Skype, email and browser.
    I have a phone but no WiFi in my house.
    i could buy a router just to receive emails, skype, etc.

i have a monitor.

I was thinking of a really cheap pc.
    maybe used.
    I do not care about specs accept skype calls, email and maybe some you tube.

I was thinking used PC or thought of Raspberry Pi solution.

Looking for the cheapest solution.

Thank you PC Perspective community for all the help.

Re: Cheap sulotion for Skype, Email, and Browser

If those were all my needs I would go with a tablet or netbook. Maybe even a cheap notebook.

But that's because I don't know how to code. There are probably cheaper solutions.

Cool Re: Cheap sulotion for Skype, Email, and Browser

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer77dd View Post
    I am looking for a solution that will make it possible to Skype, email and browser.

i have a monitor.

maybe used.

Hey,

If I were you, I'd get like a Dell netbook or even a Chromebook. Chromebooks can do YouTube, emails, and Skype. You can't directly install Skype; instead you must use Skype through the browser at Outlook.com (just login with your Skype details I assume) and download the Skype Web Plugin which should theoretically work on Chromebooks.

I'd recommend getting a DSL internet connection, even a basic cheap and cheerful one. You're gonna need at least that if you're wanting to watch YouTube videos. You could get away (barely, by the skin of your teeth) with a dialup connection through your phone line (yes, you CAN still get those) but it's really not recommended in this day and age!

Hope this helps,
    Gavin
    My username is "Gaveroid" on both Steam and Origin. Feel free to send me a friend request and we can play some games together! Also, why don't you check out my website while you're at it, listed below?

http://www.Gaveroid.com

What about these types of options.
    The Liva Desktop Link.
    http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Systems...sktop-Computer

Low cost CPU article link.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Processors...versus-Celeron

I have a monitor.
    YouTube is not really needed but Skype is.
    Its a solution to keep in contact with people and be able to use the web.
    I have internet so that's not a concern.

That Liva doesn't look so bad! However, you've gotta think about hard drive space, it doesn't have a disc drive... etc. As for those two processors I'd go for the Celeron; it's faster, and unless you're gonna be doing anything with 3D applications you don't need the better (but still probably crap) graphics technology in the Sempron APU.

Personally, I'd just go out to the store and see what kind of computer you can get, maybe a netbook... I mean, building a computer's cool and all (you were looking at processors) but unless you're using power-hungry apps it's best to get a pre-built from Dell or HP or somewhere. You won't need 100% fine-tuned specs for Skype, Email, the Web, etc., and if it goes wrong at least you might have some kind of warranty on the whole machine. As to the Liva, if that's your choice, I assume you'll be using new cables (that are stiff) so make sure to run out to the hardware store and get some velcro for that thing, LOL (so small the cables will have more force I bet)!

Also, I was wrong about the Chromebook. I thought the web plugin for Skype was like a Chrome add-on, but it's not so it won't work on Chromebooks.

Hope this helps,
    Gavin
    My username is "Gaveroid" on both Steam and Origin. Feel free to send me a friend request and we can play some games together! Also, why don't you check out my website while you're at it, listed below?

http://www.Gaveroid.com

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer77dd View Post

i have a monitor.

maybe used.

dreamer77dd > For the cheapest solution with your provided information, this is what I would use.

You didn't specify which type of phone you are using. In my case, I have a Nexus5 (with the Tyrell Corporation logo on it). Any newest smart-phone will be enough for Skype, Email, basic Web browsing.

You have an option to get a data plan on your phone where cost will vary from $10 to $100+ per month (depend how much Video Skype you plan on doing) and where (weak/strong signal). Which I don't use to reduce cost.

If only at home, the cheapest DSL Internet package, as suggested by Gaveroid, will be good. You're looking at about at least a cost of $25 per month. Depending on the ISP, you may have to buy your own modem where some come with Wireless, or if included in your cost, ask if a Wireless Modem is possible. If the modem is only wired, you can purchased a used wireless router that support at least the N bands (2.4GHz). Cost will vary. I bought mine for $0.25 at a yard sale (resolved some technical issues with it, and still works).

If I would be in your shoes, my setup would be:
    - Smartphone
    - Home ISP DSL Service + Wireless Router
    Optional:
    - Cafe Wi-Fi hopping (using the Internet at a Cafe while you enjoy a warm breverage)

You'll be looking at a cost of (may be less in your area):
    - ISP Installation fee $100
    - Wireless Router purchase $70
    - ISP services $40/mth

$210 for the first month, than $40 + coffee for optional scenarios.

If you plan on saving some content from emails or skype, I suggest a netbook and an external backup drive (1TB for multiple backup versions, etc.).

Hope this helps!
    GamerTag: CrossNeon - Steam Profile
    Twitch: Twitch.tv/PHOPROJECT
    BuildSpecs: EVGA Mods Rigs
    Internet Connection: 1.32Mbps/0.59Mbps 104ms

Namespro.ca - Canadian owned domain service provider. CIRA certified registrar.
    GTribe PC Giveaway : Preregister to be entered as they are announced. Many drawn this year. See you there!