Question Laptop w software problems (Windows 7)

Got this laptop (HP) after a remote family member passed away.
    My wife wants to use it in future, but there's something very wrong with it.
    Less than a minute or 2 after you log in the RAM usage soars up to ~5.5 GB (wereas the physical memory is 6GB).
    Tried several anti-virus programs, even one on a Linux based rescue disc and also anti-Malware software, but still I haven't found the culprit.
    My latest try was Hijackthis, but I can't get a handle on the content of the Log of its scan.
    So, I 'm baffled and stuck!
    Please help me solve this sticky problem?
    Thanks

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

Re: Laptop w software problems (Windows 7)

have you checked task manager to see what's eating up the ram?

best way to scan a drive is to put it on another rig as a data drive.

ud

Don't forget about the Sysinternals Suite from MS & Mark R. Process Explorer, Process Monitor, & Sysmon will all be helpful!!! I run another app called System Explorer all the time myself for a continous system view. It is like a light wait Process Explorer with a handy system tray popup quick view that can be set viewable all the time like a gadget. I like it better than Task Manager.

Hope this helps,
    Best Regards,

Crysta

That 's the odd thing; I cannot accumulate all the 'used' RAM to the ~5.5 GB it displays as being in use through the reported usage in the column of RAM usage per process ...
    That 's what stumped me!
    I 've got nothing to connect a mobile drive to; I 've worked with computers professionally (>10 years ago) and we had an adapter to connect such a drive to a standard IDE cable from a desktop compyter, but I haven't got such a tool personally.

I tried that one, but didn't see anything suspicious. Are you sure it would show up anything, even really bad stuff?

By the way, I have to double-check this, but I thought I saw a marked difference when I logged in as Administrator (which I managed to reveal itself.
    If so, I could 'sort of fix' this thing just by creating a new user account.
    I 'll check this in the coming days.
    That leaves the culprit still veiled, but my wife could then (of course) use the laptop without me having to 'Recover' Windows7 completely.
    That would be the last resort ...

Thanks for your replies, guys
    Last edited by noorman; 12-05-2014 at 08:28 AM. Reason: language oops corrected

Quote Originally Posted by noorman View Post
    I tried that one, but didn't see anything suspicious. Are you sure it would show up anything, even really bad stuff?

By the way, I have to double-check this, but I thought I saw a marked difference when I logged in as Administrator (which I managed to reveal itself.
    If so, I could 'sort of fix' this thing just by creating a new user account.
    I 'll check this in the coming days.
    That leaves the culprit still veiled, but my wife could that use the laptop without me having to 'Recover' Windows7 completely.
    That would be the last resort ...

Thanks for your replies, guys
    You would use a computer that you know has something on it, without knowing what that something is? Quite possibly you will be letting someone else see and use everything on the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by noorman View Post
    That 's the odd thing; I cannot accumulate all the 'used' RAM to the ~5.5 GB it displays as being in use through the reported usage in the column of RAM usage per process ...
    That 's what stumped me!
    I 've got nothing to connect a mobile drive to; I 've worked with computers professionally (>10 years ago) and we had an adapter to connect such a drive to a standard IDE cable from a desktop compyter, but I haven't got such a tool personally.
    look at the hard drive. it more than likely has a standard sata power and data connection.

there is also a check box in task manager to show all users. you may need to tick that to show the ram hog.

ud

Tested the situation logged in as Administrator and the RAM-grabbing isn't there anymore.
    Noticed that HP installs Windows with a user (MyHP) that has administrator rights without any password!!!
    How silly and wrong can you get? And the reseller doesn't point out to the customer that he needs to put in a password at least!
    Created a new 'ordinary' user account.
    That will do for now.
    Thanks for the input, guys
    Last edited by noorman; 12-06-2014 at 09:20 AM.