Been out of the computer scene for a while but want to build a monster.

Basicly i have around $2500 and have put together a list of computer parts that i think would make a monster of a machine look it over and tell me what you think. Any pros and cons thing something else will work better let me know! Thanks you guys! http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tC3B4D

Re: Been out of the computer scene for a while but want to build a monster.

Looks good. One thing you may want to change is the 1TB SSD. Some in here would suggest to have a 70GB or whatever for C: (Windows) and another SSD or HDD for D: for everything else (Office, software, downloads, etc). I am still doing the 1 C: for everything, but I plan to practice having two drives.

Guys, a question, do you make --> D:\Users\Mama\Mydocuments and D:\Programs Files\ ?

Chuck

Have to agree with cnt...1tb is a pretty big ssd, but something a bit smaller (250-750) and a decent hdd could give you a bit of room to swing around the funds for maybe a beefier PSU (if needed) and another gpu...or maybe a bit of a stronger cpu.
    Last edited by RatzKlaw; 12-10-2014 at 12:02 PM. Reason: I can sp3ll and gramm3rz

I had a really bad experience running executables from a seperate partition. The experience was exactly the same running from a seperate partition on the same drive, and from a seperate drive. Performance was the biggest problem, the other problem was that some installers demanded the use of the C: drive and there was absolutely no workaround. I wonder if that still applies today, because this was a few years back
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Quote Originally Posted by notdrugged View Post
    I had a really bad experience running executables from a seperate partition. The experience was exactly the same running from a seperate partition on the same drive, and from a seperate drive. Performance was the biggest problem, the other problem was that some installers demanded the use of the C: drive and there was absolutely no workaround. I wonder if that still applies today, because this was a few years back
    In my recent experience this isn't nearly as much of an issue. Most will offer you the option for a user defined path. They may still want to put things in the C:\users folder, but rarely enough to cause real trouble. I've been running 2+ drives for years now; 1 SSD (120-250GB) for windows and small programs, plus a big spinning disk for games, files and bigger applications that are directly installed on the big drive.

For OP: I like the build, but why no K processor? If you want to overclock then you need to get a K chip, and if you don't want the possibility of overclocking then you might consider changing your motherboard and cooling choices
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 12-15-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Slightly old thread, but that system is fine, except I've never found the need to buy expensive fans, and you shouldn't need that many of them. I've found the video card fans to be the loudest in any system, so that fan will be the primary concern for a cool, quiet system. Case fans will not help you that much, and you'll probably only need one of them actually running. You can test this with temp software.

If you do decide to use a smaller SSD for fast booting. And you have the need to store large files. (Virtual environments) You can use audit mode in your version of Windows. And a second Hard Drive for user accounts.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-sysprep.html
    See https://www.google.com/search?q=usin...utf-8&oe=utf-8

This works in all versions of Windows.

Bruce :-)