How do you choose the right Z97 board?

I've checked around and getting a bit confused over which Z97 to get as an upgrade, it ranges from US$100 to US$399. I want to do a bit of PhotoShop, video editing and some gaming like League of Legends and be able to play Game of Thrones when it comes out. BTW, my budget is around US$1200-1,500, which I think should be more than enough...

Re: How do you choose the right Z97 board?

In determining what board to purchase, I have a few questions for you.

Are you looking to overclock ?

What features do you want/need ? For example...RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA?

I did it this way, when I went Z87 for my upgrade in August 2013, I got to looking at the Z87 boards, and the one that had the all the features I was looking for, including USB 3.0, ALC1150 with DTS surround, SLI/Crossfire support, plenty of SATA 6GB ports WIFI, Bluetooth, and a PCI Express bridge chip to provide plenty of PCI Express lanes to all the PCI Express slots outside of the chipset, for me was the Z87 Deluxe from ASUS, which also came with dual Gigabit lan.

Yes, what features do you need and want on the board, do you want decent onboard sound with DTS surround, Crossfire/SLI support, plenty of SATA 6GB slots, RAID support, WIFI and Bluetooth support USB 3.0 support and also do you want or need eSATA on a Z97 board.

Quote Originally Posted by slumbarr View Post
    I've checked around and getting a bit confused over which Z97 to get as an upgrade, it ranges from US$100 to US$399. I want to do a bit of PhotoShop, video editing and some gaming like League of Legends and be able to play Game of Thrones when it comes out. BTW, my budget is around US$1200-1,500, which I think should be more than enough...
    It all depends on what kind of case size you want as well, are you going to do single gpu, sli/xfire, tri-sli/xfire. What resolution do you want to play at.. What storage.

I been hearing lots of good things on the ASRock Z97 Extreme6, you might take a look at that one.. if you want something more one the cheap you can go for ECS Z97-PK.
    But I would recommend you to have a good quality board, its the base of a stable PC

I would stay away from ECS! Very el cheapo full of issues... Go with ASrock, much better choice.

Your budget is a good starting point, as well as some of the general concepts. The component choice and expandability are part of the hardware, so if you're looking to add more drives down the line per say, you might want a board that has more than 6 SATA ports. What case you use will also play a role in what you have. I have a Fractal Design XL R2, so most motherboards aren't a problem. However, if you go for a smaller ATX case, a slimmer motherboard might be a wise choice.

Also, factor in if you will need a copy of an OS and any monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. you're factoring into the build. For just the box, your budget will offer you a beast.

Just go with a smaller ATX case, if you're sure you won't keep adding more HDDs or graphics cards, as it'll get complicated. But if you want to be safe, go with the full tower if you've got the space at home

Did someone mention ECS? I think there are a lot of bigger brands like Asus, MSI, Asrock, Gigabyte that you can choose from.