NAS or new PC build?

I'm retiring an old power hungry PC from 2007. It was being used as an HTPC and a "NAS" aka shared drives on Windows 7. I don't really NEED it to be hooked up HDMI to the entertainment system anymore with all my other devices capable of streaming the media, so it's been mainly a NAS. I've never actually owned a NAS.

My options are:
    1) Buy a small NAS x4 bay around $200, like a NETGEAR ReadyNAS, less to maintain, plugs right into the router
    2) Build a smaller form factor PC, with Windows 7, with option to build a powerful HTPC with maybe a nice audio card, etc.

I'm concerned I may be disappointed with a cheap NAS, but I may enjoy having 1 less PC to maintain.

Re: NAS or new PC build?

I know you posted this a long time ago, but I would recomend you check out a linux based pc for use as a NAS. It may take a bit to set up but there souldn't be much maintanance.

I'm leaning towards a new PC build, like a HTPC build only a case large enough for some drives. That old PC mobo is dead I think. I can go with a more energy efficient build with all the latest sleep and wake on lan features. I'll have to research a good lamp linux file server.

Yeah I would go with build a new pc. You get much more options. Check out Teksyndicates nasfaruto video it is pretty cool on the subject. And I want to do a build with the mobo they used to bad I am so broke. I would either use Nas4free or freenas