What Is the New GPU Standard?

7 years ago Crysis was the standard for a GPU capable of handling any title. What is the new standard setter in 2014 and what class of GPU does it take to get a steady 60fps?

Is any GPU yet capable of running the Samaritan and Infiltrator Demos in real time?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXyztq_0uM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJYjFEo1bfs

Re: What Is the New GPU Standard?

I would say that the ArmA 3 title is pretty much a GPU stomper if you want 60fps and all features maxed out. Especially at 1440p or 4K which the game does support. True, the game is still not fully GPU optimized but that would mean that any GPU that could push 60fps solid with those settings is a solid GPU.

Example being these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY3DLO32i-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_4eI_2MPls
    Last edited by KRDucky; 12-30-2014 at 07:34 AM.

I would say Star Citizen/Arena Commander....looks fantastic, extremely demanding....
    also a few others that i'm forgetting the names of...(will edit if i can ever remember)

on the Arma note, it looks good, but isn't it more along the lines of CPU smashing rather than GPU?

I really don't think there is a single standard like there was back when Crysis came out, and that's a good thing in my humble opinion, since game performance can differ a lot from engine to engine. There are just too many variables, even more so these days, to rely on a single game to denote overall performance. Developer optimization seems to be all over the place, and drivers seem to be maturing faster than they did back then.

Even back when Crysis was all the rage, what made it a good benchmark was the way the engine worked, and the fact it was never really optimized for performance. The game was meant to look better than it was to perform, so it acted more like a synthetic benchmark in some respects.

I prefer a list of games across multiple engines to get an idea of how hardware will perform. Personally, these are the games and engines I look at the most when trying to determine hardware performance.

Battlefiled 4 (Frostbite 3)
    Crysis 3 (CryEngine 3)
    Far Cry 3/4 (Dunia Engine 2 - Heavily modified CryEngine)
    Metro Last Light and Redux Editions (4A Engine)
    Wolfenstein: The New Order (id Tech 5)
    CoD Advanced Warfare (Since it's the first leap forward and departure from the outdated IW Engine it's been using for so long)
    Bioshock Infinite/Borderlands Pre-Sequel/Batman: Arkham Origins (Unreal Engine 3) *Looking forward to more UE4 powered games*
    Tomb Raider 2013/Deus Ex Human Revolution (Modified Crystal Engine)
    Broforce/Wasteland 2/Rust/Shadowrun Returns (Unity Engine)

Those are the games and engines I look at the most when reading benchmarks, and some of the games I like to use when I benchmark. In addition to those I use like to use the Star Swarm Demo for Mantle testing in addition to BF4, PvZ GW, Sniper Elite 3, and Thief.

So yeah, I really don't buy into the one game rule for running a game, there are just too many different variables and engines being used today. Heck, even games on the same engine can have vastly different performance results, so much depends on the developers and how the engine is used or modified. That's why I have multiple games for different engines in many cases.

If you really just want to push your system to see what it can handle overall, Arma III is a great just like KRDucky says. So is Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen. I just tend to get a lot more involved. =P

My Hardware Review Blog - A place for me to share my reviews and thoughts on the hardware that I use and the games that I play.

Other hardware: Seagate 600 Series 240GB SSD OS/Boot Drive - Various WD Black & Seagate HDDs - Cooler Master HAF 932