how does phenom 2 compare to current FX cpu's

I'm trying to go over my options I'm wanting to do a upgrade and wonder how would the phenom 2 x6 compare to what's out now. I currently have a phenom2 x2. If I find a deal on a x6 would it be worth it my motherboard is msi870a g54. Part of my upgrade would be better gpu and more ram. Input appreciated I've been out of the hobby a while . No matter what route id be sticking to AMD processor.

Re: how does phenom 2 compare to current FX cpu's

it would be helpful for a little more info on what your current and future usage is.

ud

Currently play world of tanks but with latest updates cant see the visual details that my gaming laptop can run. I will be using for somegaming.

Quote Originally Posted by afoctober2 View Post
    I'm trying to go over my options I'm wanting to do a upgrade and wonder how would the phenom 2 x6 compare to what's out now. I currently have a phenom2 x2. If I find a deal on a x6 would it be worth it my motherboard is msi870a g54. Part of my upgrade would be better gpu and more ram. Input appreciated I've been out of the hobby a while . No matter what route id be sticking to AMD processor.
    The X2 is definitely going to hold you back. An X6 or even an X4 would remove that bottleneck for the most part for average 1080p gaming with a modern single video card. The problem is that used Phenom II CPUs aren't as cheap as you would think with prices near the FX 6 or 8 core CPUs. Since you are already considering a new CPU, GPU and RAM you might want to just save a bit longer and get a new AM3+ motherboard that can run the FX CPUs.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Yes your right im going for FX cpu my current pc can serve another purpose. The way i am i would end up regretting not buying fx, but i love the phenom 2 its still a fast pc today most modern cpu's are really good. When i left socket a i felt it being slow but this still feels fast.

Quote Originally Posted by afoctober2 View Post
    Yes your right im going for FX cpu my current pc can serve another purpose. The way i am i would end up regretting not buying fx, but i love the phenom 2 its still a fast pc today most modern cpu's are really good. When i left socket a i felt it being slow but this still feels fast.
    Agree about the Phenom II. Was a nice CPU and still very capable. I still have two X6 systems in my house. My son uses one with a XFX Radeon 7970 video card and it's a very capable 1080p gaming system.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

Yeah its a shame if i already had an x6 i'd stick with it but to have to by one for the price of new cpu's now just makes more sense to buy new cpu. Now just have to research motherboards.

Agree with the mod. Get yourself a 970X board, 8GB RAM, R9 280 gfx card and a Piledrive based FX 8 for some decent 1080p gaming experience if you intend to stick with AMD.

Marmo:
    Ci5 4690K + Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H + 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance-12800C9 + MSI GTX660 TwinFrozr + 256GB(SSD)/1TB(HDD) running Win7 Pro x64.

Kanon (wife's PC):
    Ci5 6600K + Asus Maximus VIII Hero + 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance-21300C16 + Palit GTX980 SJ + 256GB(SSD)/1TB(HDD) running Win8.1 Pro x64.

Alania:
    Dell Vostro 3460: Ci7 3632QM + HM77 + 6GB DDR3-1600 + Nvidia GT630M + 480GB SSD running Win7 Pro x64.

Moss (Windows server):
    Ci5 4570 + Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H + 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance-12800C10 + 2x2TB (RAID1) HDDs running Win2008 R2 Ent x64.

Flame (Linux server / F@H):
    PIIX4 925 + ASRock 890FX Deluxe5 + 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance-15000C9 + Sapphire HD5750 1GB + 2x250GB(System RAID1)/3x500GB(3ware 9650SE-4LPML RAID5) HDDs running CentOS 6.7 x64.

Valis:
    C2Q Q9650 + Asus P5Q3 Dlx. + 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance-12800C8 + EVGA GTX560 Ti SC + 2x74GB/500GB HDDs running Fedora 21 x64.

Yeah since i built my first pc they have all been amd. Only time i have intel is my laptop and tablet. I have been looking at this ASRock 970 Performance AM3+. For sure going 8gb ram don't have all the hardware set yet i have a little wait been on furlough for a month so just want few checks coming in before i do this .

^^ The ASRock 970 Performance seems like a nice full featured board. Hard to beat $74 after rebate. Note that rebate expires Jan 31.

My second system uses the AMD 975 Phenom, and for the most part is about 97% as fast as an FX 8350 minus the multi threaded applications. So I use both the Phenom and an Intel 4670k (keep in mind my 4670k @ 4.5 ghz is much faster than the FX 8350), and both for gaming. The AMD is in the bedroom and the Intel in the living room. The AMD uses a GTX 660ti Power Edition, and the Intel an R9 290x. I enjoy both systems nearly equally. Yes the AMD is still plenty fast enough with a 1080p panel. Sometimes I ask myself if I could I live with just the AMD system, would I be happy? The answer is yes, although I would want a better GPU. Although I must admit I would get the craving for a faster system eventually, hence I hang on to the Intel system. However my heart lies with AMD.

Nothing wrong with the venerable old Phenom it can still hang.