Buiilding New Computer - Help with CPU choice.

Yo..

So, I'm building a computer, first time and can't make my mind up on the CPU.

The computer will mainly be used for gaming at 1080p

I've been doing a lot of reading and watching videos and staring at benchmarks to determine the right cpu for me, but it seems the more info I consume the more confused I get.

This is in regards to something like an i5 4460/4690 vs an AMD FX 8350

So many differing opinions and points of view, valid and non valid arguments.

A lot of people say - i5 for gaming, easy choice. But it is really that cut and dry? There is a lot in favor of AMD too.
    For example: 120 FPS vs 110 FPS isn't really an argument in favor of a particular CPU because you're not going to notice.

Games are generally GPU dependent anyway, so how important is the small amount of performance that you may or may not gain by choosing an i5 over the 8350. Are you even going to notice such a performance gain?

When people are are claiming Intel i5 all the way, are they really just looking at some benchmark that gives like 5 more FPS and saying yup, why would you even bother with AMD?

This is my first build so I really don't know much on the subject.

Basically, going forward, with games coming out like the Witcher 3 for example is the FX 8350 going to be able to run this at max settings as well as an i5, with regards to real world experience and not just benchmark numbers? I ask because the price difference is quite large and would allow for a better GPU.

What about the consideration of Mantle and games using more cores in the future?

I feel this has gotten long, so I'll stop here. Any more info needed just ask. Thanks for your time.

Re: Buiilding New Computer - Help with CPU choice.

Welcome to the forums.

Take a look here
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...vs-AMD-FX-8350

Higher IPC for the intel part, less power consumption, built in GPU...

If you really want an apples to apples comparison you would need to look at intel parts ending in k (unlocked)

As far as mantle, that's an AMD thing for their GPU's...off the top of my head there is like 5 games that use mantle.

I don't want to sound like a douche - But I did explain I'd already exhausted myself looking through benchmarks and just became more confused in the process.

A lot of the time these benchmarks aren't going to have much real world clout anyway.

Example: System A runs Game A at 60fps and Game B at 120 fps - System B runs Game A at 45fps and Game 2 at 250 fps.

Adding the totals shows a higher average fps for system 2, but I'd much rather have system 1 running on a 60hz monitor at 1080p where the difference between 120 and 250 fps is a moot point, but the difference between 60 and 45 fps is a very noticeable deal breaker.

Essentially I was after real world experience of an FX 8350 vs an i5 4460/4690

My advice = go for i5 4460.

The main advantage of the FX8350 over an i5 is its lower cost and better multi-thread performance. The cost advantage is negated if you pair a non-k i5 with a B85 motherboard. For an average consumer, the higher multi-thread performance is only useful if you do a lot of video editing/encoding.

The benefits you get with an i5 system is its lower power consumption and better efficiency. The i5 is a TDP 84W part whereas the FX-8350 is rated at TDP 125W. If you then get an AMD GPU because it offers better price/performance ratio than Nvidia at the moment, you will end up with two high power/heat components in your system. As a result more investment will need to be made in cooling solution and PSU.

In terms of future upgradability, both LGA1150 and AM3+ are dead ends. According to AMD roadmap, there is no plan for any more AM3+ CPUs after Vishera. For Intel, Broadwell will not be much faster than Haswell and will be the only upgrade option.

Marmo:
    Ci5 4690K + Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H + 2x8GB Corsair 1600 C9 + Palit GTX980 SJ + 256GB(SSD)/1TB(HDD) running Win7 Pro x64.

Kanon (wife's PC):
    Ci5 6600K + Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 + 2x8GB Corsair 2666 C16 + MSI GTX1080 G+X 11Gbps + 256GB(SSD)/1TB(HDD) running Win8.1 Pro x64.

Alania:
    Dell Vostro 3460: Ci7 3632QM + HM77 + 6GB DDR3-1600 + Nvidia GT630M + 480GB SSD running Win7 Pro x64.

Moss (Windows Hyper-V RemoteFX server):
    Ci5 6600K + Asus Maximum VIII HERO + 2x8GB Corsair 2666 C16 + MSI GTX660 TF + 2x2TB (RAID1) HDDs running Win2012 R2 Std. x64.

Flame (Linux server / F@H):
    PIIX4 925 + ASRock 890FX Deluxe5 + 2x4GB Corsair 1833 C9 + Sapphire HD5750 1GB + 2x250GB(System RAID1)/3x500GB(3ware 9650SE-4LPML RAID5) HDDs running CentOS 6.7 x64.

Valis:
    C2Q Q9650 + Asus P5Q3 Dlx. + 2x4GB Corsair 1600 C8 + EVGA GTX560 Ti SC + 2x74GB/500GB HDDs running Fedora 21 x64.

The choice of CPU is very cut and dried for some, not so much for others. People are always going to sway you in the direction of their experiences. Take me, for example. I'm currently running an FX-6300 (overclocked of course) paired up with a GTX 780. I can very easily play any game maxed out at 1080p. So am I going to tell you to run out and buy the FX 8350? Thats up to you. But do keep a couple of facts in mind. First, the AM3+ socket that the FX 8350 uses, is obsolete. There will probably not be any more CPUs made for that socket. So that FX 8350 will be the best you will ever be able to achieve. Even for an AMD fan boy like me, my next major upgrade is going to be an Intel CPU. I just don't feel like AMD has been showing gamers much love lately.

To be fair, and it hurts me to say it, but there are alot of reasons to go with intel over AMD, but you will still be getting a great product with AMD. Most of us on team red (A10-6700/r7 260) are for non technical reasons, either emotional or financial.

I'd agree with the Intel choice. Only reason though, AMD doesn't currently have plans to refresh their desktop line of parts. the AM3+ socket, as stated before, is obsolete and will not have any new parts. Not saying that Intel wont change sockets on their side but the chance of them making new desktop class parts is much higher. You will get more for your money with Intel.

I agree with your assessment of Intel versus AMD. I was a long time fan of AMD until I received my Intel 2600k. I absolutely love the performance of Intel chipsets. In the end the cost of going with Intel may be high but I've continue to see a return on my investment when it comes time to repurposing my older Intel machine for another purpose in my house.

I think that you should save money with a decent AMD processor and spend every penny on a Nvidia graphics card. Thats what you need for a gaming machine.

Quote Originally Posted by AGTBK View Post
    I think that you should save money with a decent AMD processor and spend every penny on a Nvidia graphics card. Thats what you need for a gaming machine.
    The problem is intels processors that cost the same or less than AMDs processors offer superior performance.

They are probably using intel CPUs at AMD these days, just so they can be using modern computers.

I doubt that would be the reason that AMD in-office employees would run an Intel chip. I think competing companies do that anyway - sort of the "know your enemy" type thing out of respect. You can play any game in the market with good FPS with a mere FX 6300. The problem is that it's still stuck in the 2007-2008 performance era, basically no faster than a 965 Phenom for the most part, with only the FX 8350 (and 4350) taking a very slight lead from a vintage 965 processor. Of course the FX 8350 bottlenecks higher end GPU's less than the older models which is good, but it's still a good margin behind even the older Intel Ivy Bridge chips of a few years ago.

It's strange to me how I think of AMD in a past tense now, it's been so long since they have been relevant in the CPU arena. I don't think intel bothers to look at what they're doing, what could they learn?

True story: my secondary gaming desktop has an intel 4690 and an AMD Radeon 290 in it. Last night I went to update the drivers because I hadn't since installing last November. I pick the new betas for Windows 8 64 bit, and start it installing. It takes FOREVER so I get bored and leave to do other things. When I come back it seems to be locked in some loop of installation that I can't end, and I end up shutting it down. Now I can't even boot.

I watch the drivers install for the GTX980 on my main pc, happens fast and flawlessly.

Fair is fair.
    I restored the PC to the day before, and the AMD drivers installed in 5 minutes. Don't know what happened last night.

I dunno

I would go AMD if you would like the onboard GPU performance to be high enough to game and / or if you want to stick to budget.

However, to be as open and fair as I can manage (and I love AMD) the price performance per hertz on Intel vs AMD still strongly favours intel. If you were planning on buying an $200+ GPU anyway, you'll really be in the ballpark, where, the Intel systems are preferred.

You won't mind both long term, but I think some of the AAA titles will be favouring 4 strong fast intel threads with hyperthreading (and therefore 4790k or successor). If your gaming requirements are lower, then, you can arguably go AMD and get strongish results. The Current APUs are (I believe) ok for DX12 which hopefully will give us all a per-pixel boost.

Nice, tough question!
    puzzle: n(each):n(<3r):n(sky)|</z>>P(Name)>>>(Ish!)