Why does everyone smoke cigarettes?

Ughh! I don't know how one even gets tempted to try one. They stink to begin with. Yet, I am at a loss to name many people I know who don't smoke.

True story -- though I admit it's hard for anyone to believe -- but I've never really even tried to smoke a cigarette. Yes, there are people who don't smoke, have never smoked, and never intend to smoke.

I know I sound like I'm against freedom of choice and pitting one vice against another. Is smoking really worse than someone who overeats? Or drinks? From a personal health perspective, I'd say no. My problem with smokers is I don't want to smell their habit. The cigarette smoke gets trapped in clothes, vehicles, rooms, etc. Long after a smoker is done, I still have to smell their cigarette. That's my only issue.

I work a repair job where I have to ride with another worker and he smokes like a chimney. It's not like he's the oddball, I'm the one lone person who doesn't smoke.

Re: Why does everyone smoke cigarettes?

Is it a company work vehicle? If so, he should not be smoking in it, it's the law in some places. Just sayin', might want to bring it up with the boss. I remember when a place I worked for banned smoking in all company vehicles, ended up helping me quit the habit.

You should be very happy that you don't understand the appeal of cigarettes. I was a smoker for many, many years. I was finally able to kick the habit, but the smell of a freshly lit cigarette will always smell good to me. Its much like the differences people have in the foods that they like, and the things they like to drink. Its all personal preference. Some people like the taste of cigarettes, some people like the taste of wine, some even like the taste of frogs legs <wink>.

I've never understood the appeal of it either. Cigarettes - unsurprisingly - "taste" the same as they smell, so I've never even finished one. Of course I hate other stuff as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_nVidia View Post
    I've never understood the appeal of it either. Cigarettes - unsurprisingly - "taste" the same as they smell, so I've never even finished one. Of course I hate other stuff as well.
    Seems like most people take up smoking cigs because of peer pressure, or think it's cool, makes young teens look older or more mature. Or someone could just be so dumb they can't understand all of the warnings out there about smoking and the health risks. I honestly can't remember how or why I started, most likely friends were and I just grabbed a smoke and went with the flow, I just know it was a biotch to quit.

Thanks everybody for the replies. I never thought of cigarettes as an acquired taste. That makes sense.

Another thing I dislike about smokers is many of them tend to be extra social when they are smoking. They like to stand all up on my to make sure I get a strong whiff of what they are smoking. I admit I'm a bit of a jerk. If it's winter and I'm stuck in somebody's car who is smoking, I roll the window all the way down. I can tolerate the cold much better than they can.

i started young. no peer pressure but that is out there and a reason why many try it. my sister smoked. saw her doing it and was curious. for me, i smoke because i enjoy it. i enjoy the taste. there is little more satisfying than a smoke after a good meal. i don't drink, but i guess it could be compared to those who like that cold beer on a hot day after a hard days work. i quit for a year. was very difficult. started back up for no other reason than because i wanted to. no cravings. just wanted to.

believe it or not, i don't care for the smell of it either. my wife and i don't smoke in the car. we don't smoke in the house. it stinks up the place, stains everything a nasty yellow and gunks up my electronics. we don't smoke around our kids and we are very conscious and respectful about those who are around us. if i am riding with someone who smokes in their vehicle, and someone else who doesn't smoke is in that same vehicle, i won't smoke.
    hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    i started young. no peer pressure but that is out there and a reason why many try it. my sister smoked. saw her doing it and was curious. for me, i smoke because i enjoy it. i enjoy the taste. there is little more satisfying than a smoke after a good meal. i don't drink, but i guess it could be compared to those who like that cold beer on a hot day after a hard days work. i quit for a year. was very difficult. started back up for no other reason than because i wanted to. no cravings. just wanted to.

believe it or not, i don't care for the smell of it either. my wife and i don't smoke in the car. we don't smoke in the house. it stinks up the place, stains everything a nasty yellow and gunks up my electronics. we don't smoke around our kids and we are very conscious and respectful about those who are around us. if i am riding with someone who smokes in their vehicle, and someone else who doesn't smoke is in that same vehicle, i won't smoke.
    You're the type of smoker I could really get along with.

It is called addiction. But yeah most people I know is peer pressure or family.

Agreed most people start as a social thing with friends that do and keep smoking because nicotine is highly addictive and the ease of buying cigarettes only adds to the addictive nature of them. Trust me long time smoker that is now smoke free and loving life.

Quote Originally Posted by knifefish View Post
    Agreed most people start as a social thing with friends that do and keep smoking because nicotine is highly addictive and the ease of buying cigarettes only adds to the addictive nature of them. Trust me long time smoker that is now smoke free and loving life.
    Thanks everybody for the responses. I imagine smoking must be highly addictive and activity oriented. I know some people that chain smoke something fierce. They especially must have a cigarette during certain events, like getting into a car or finishing a task, or after dealing with a stressful situation. Very interesting.