Curious 8.1 login issue.

Have a long time customer who cannot login to his 8.1 laptop because he is now at a different location(motel for the weekend). Is it possible from the login screen to setup a new wireless connection without logging in? All attempts to login say he is not connected to a network and the laptop will not authenticate. Unfortunately, I don't think he has a local admin account setup as MS user account creation never prompts a user to set one up, just the dumb email linked account. I've setup four of 8.1 pc's for customers and forced all of them to use local accounts only and windows classic shell and never having to mess with the metro ui. So, I am in need a little insight from someone who knows of any features available prior to login to setup a new wireless connection if this is at all possible.
    Last edited by onetech; 02-21-2015 at 01:08 AM.

Click here to visit Onetech's website
    Popup blocker advised!

"Cutting edge technology is for those who like to bleed." Onetech

Re: Curious 8.1 login issue.

From http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...b-615521f6efe5

For Windows 8 you have to plug the machine hard line via LAN cable to your router.This will allow the machine to sync with your account. This also helps if you've recently reset your password since your last log in and the wireless network you are trying connect is not saved on the PC.

Or you have to reset the machine, which wipes everything.

and
    As a computer tech for the last 10 years or so i would have to concur with JonLong with his assesment of the situation. If you can hard wire then that should do the trick if not hold down the shift key and press restart and that would bring you to the recovery menu and from there you will have the option to reset the machine. this will erase all the data so hopefuly you got it backed up.

and
    http://www.groovypost.com/howto/wind...hout-internet/
    Last edited by thewanderer; 02-21-2015 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Add another suggestion

Re: Curious 8.1 login issue.

Good info! Hard wired connection would be the easiest option and the cleanest. I am still hoping we don't have to wipe his PC, this was a solution I saw quite a few times and it's hard to believe MS hasn't addressed this issue to date. Having to create 1 local user account definitely causes all kinds of issues with permissions and such.

Click here to visit Onetech's website
    Popup blocker advised!

"Cutting edge technology is for those who like to bleed." Onetech