Thread: Windows 8

Windows 8

I made the leap to Windows 8, after reading on the official forums for the new Dragon Age where the game is more stable and performs better on Windows 8 and 8.1. I even discovered after I got it installed where one of my games Bejewelled 2 Deluxe which never ran very good on ATI hardware on Windows 8 actually runs as fast as it does on Windows 7, since I have two GTX 760's in SLI.

I wonder now, what other games I'm going to find that actually work great on Windows 8 since I got my GTX 760's, in early 2014 and got rid of those 7850's.

I have even noticed that Youtube pages load faster than they do on Windows 7, in my browser of choice, Palemoon which is based on Firefox.

Re: Windows 8

Keep going to W 8.1.3. I don't believe you will regret it. There is also a ISO that you can D/L now to get you W 8.1.2 quickly that you can run in Update mode. That will save you allot of time. The biggest advantages are under the hood like a much better SFC & Disk Optimizer in W 8.n.u as well as an active System Ready Tool called DISM using the RestoreHealth feature. Both DISM & SFC are Powershell or Command Prompt run. I would get used to Powershell if I were you since MS is getting it much more functional and advanced with each iteration of Windows, even for minimal use. DISM is improving the same way. It is light years beyond the passive System Ready tool in W 7 SP 1. It is the main/only reason I left W 7.
    Using DISM RestoreHealth(look up the syntacts) and SFC together and alternately severl times at one time, will go a long way to solving your Windows/Microsoft Update problems. The troubleshooter is also mush more advanced in W 8.n.u. On WU problems use the troubleshooter only as a last resort, it will purge your WU history(if that is important to you). Your Installed Update list will be intact. Compared to W 7, Updating Windows is a breeze in W 8 for me using the above techniques. Now if we could only use them on the MS OS Departments we might even get consistant and sable patches from MS!!!!! That is my only problem with WU/MU now and why I run a seperate OS partition to TEST all UPDATES first!!! I always run DISM & SFC before I start running WU, during the Updating process and after!!!

Good resources are "Windows Secrets", " INTO Windows", "Ask VG" and for the more advanced user "Small Business Susan" (yes, the Patch Lady in Windows Secrets), "PatchManagement List"(an Email list). For the IT Pro there is a "WSUS Management List" as well as others that can be very helpful. I have learned allot from Susan and the lists. Be care though with that kind of deep dive in the IT Pro's world, you find out how UGLY MS operates, enough to give one heart palpitations.

Hope this helps, Y'all,

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year or what ever you celebrate,

Crysta
    Last edited by PhotM; 12-23-2014 at 11:49 AM.

I ended doing a fresh install, as doing it as an upgrade, none of the updates would take effect, including the updates needed to get Windows 8.1 downloaded, and it would always hang on reverting those updates. Once I booted off the Windows 8 disc, repartioned my boot SSD, and got Windows 8 installed, got Windows 8 udpated, downloaded and the 8.1 update and got it installed and updated, I was good too go.

I came to Windows 8/8.1 after my Windows 7 performance got slow and installation went to blazes on me. I did a little research before hand and found out that the GeForce 700 series cards actually perform better on Windows 8/8.1 than they do on Windows 7, and after I found that out, I realized that it was time to make the leap to Windows 8/8.1.

There are also several different third party "Start Menu" applications to choose from if you wanted to bring back a Windows 7 style Start Menu.

I personally use Start8 from Stardock. It cost $5, but I like it. You can customize it how you like. I basically got rid of the charm bar, and hide the hot corners so it essentially feels just like 7.

There are free options out there as well.

Stardock also has an app that will allow you to use the "Modern UI" applications in a Window. It's called Modern Mix.

Anyway, don't want this to be an advertisement for Stardock, I just like the product.

Here is a link with that details some of the best options:

http://www.maximumpc.com/best_windows_8_start_menu_2014

I downloaded the freeware app Classic Shell which restores the Startmenu, but haven't installed it yet.

Been using Windows 8 as is, have gotten so used to the OS as is, including using the Startscreen App for the History Channel to watch America Unearthed, that I don't want to install Classic Shell until I turn my Playstation 3 in to a streaming media device.