Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PTS Results: AMD FX-8350 Power Consumption & Performance Per Watt

AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Vishera benchmarking with AC power measurements so the Phoronix Test Suite calculates the performance-per-Watt at stock speeds and at 4.60GHz. Benchmarking compared to performance-per-Watt of an AMD FX-8150 Bulldozer at stock speeds and then 4.0GHz and 4.6GHz to match the FX-8350. ALl benchmarking from the same system with the Linux 3.5 kernel and GCC 4.7.2, NVIDIA blob, etc. Benchmarking by Michael Larabel for a future article on Phoronix.com.
    http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...RA-PILEDRIVE35

Last edited by KRDucky; 02-20-2015 at 06:13 AM.

Re: PTS Results: AMD FX-8350 Power Consumption & Performance Per Watt

Power Consumption Monitor Tables

Analytics

[wikipedia]
    Aggregate Sum: Sometimes called an Arithmetic Mean is formed by the conjunction or collection of particulars into a whole mass or sum; total.

Harmonic Mean: In computer science, specifically information retrieval and machine learning, the harmonic mean of the precision and the recall is often used as an aggregated performance score for the evaluation of algorithms and systems: the F-score (or F-measure).

Geometric Mean:

Last edited by KRDucky; 02-20-2015 at 06:44 AM.

The problem is none of this matters as AMD is competing with intel's parts, not their old parts. intel parts offer much higher performance per watt than AMD.

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    The problem is none of this matters as AMD is competing with intel's parts, not their old parts. intel parts offer much higher performance per watt than AMD.
    I am not sure I follow your logic. These are benchmarks of a particular CPU running under Linux. The Linux Kernel does not play favorites.

My logic is that benchmarks of AMD vs AMD are of very limited use these days.

Due to the performance per watt you note, 95% of people are buying intel CPUs.

The benchmarks here are sort of like a review:

"Todays modern horse eats 8% less hay and is on average 1.2mph faster!" when everyone in the world is driving cars.

If you don't care about AMD processors, why are you posting here? Are you try to troll this thread? These are benchmarks for the 8350 FX CPU. There are other benchmark threads that compare Intel CPUs so why are you bothering to post about if people are buying AMD or Intel on this thread? I still recommend AMD on Linux over Intel on Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by KRDucky View Post
    If you don't care about AMD processors, why are you posting here? Are you try to troll this thread? These are benchmarks for the 8350 FX CPU. There are other benchmark threads that compare Intel CPUs so why are you bothering to post about if people are buying AMD or Intel on this thread? I still recommend AMD on Linux over Intel on Linux.

I didn't see your other threads reviewing intel vs intel.

Not trolling anything, just noting "performance per watt" in the same sentence with AMD doesn't really apply unless there's a "horrible" or "terrible" somewhere in there.

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    AMD doesn't really apply unless there's a "horrible" or "terrible" somewhere in there.
    That is the definition of Trolling/Bashing.
    The fact you did not see the PTS threads of the X99 processors is your fault.

Really?

And how would YOU describe AMDs performance/watt compared to intel?

Do you find it mysterious that in the mobile market where that matters most intel holds an over 90% market share?

You also quoted me out of context. You left out the performance/watt qualifier, and if you can show me AMDs performance per watt not stinking compared to intels in some things more than 8 Linux geeks use, I'll retract.