Wink Recommended sound card for FPS gaming on PC?

Hi. I recently picked up a pair of Sennheiser 598 headphones and I was wondering what's the "go to standard" for sound cards? I'd like to get something that will help me take full advantage of the sound stage on my headphones to give me optimal directional audio cues. I currently do not have a budget. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Re: Recommended sound card for FPS gaming on PC?

*I am not an audio guy this is just what I've heard* I keep hearing that its not worth it to get a sound card, the ones on motherboards are good enough. People keep recomending an external DAC(digital to analog converter) especialy the ODAC.

Quote Originally Posted by skaterdude97 View Post
    *I am not an audio guy this is just what I've heard* I keep hearing that its not worth it to get a sound card, the ones on motherboards are good enough.
    This is what I know to be true.
    When ever I do a new build I always take the onboard sound for a spin.
    Most recently my Gigabyte board.
    I game. I listen to music.
    And then I put a dedicated sound card in.
    (Been running my HT|Omega for a lot of years)
    Night and day.
    While sound is a subjective matter and onboard is adequate for most users, discerning ears will readily be able to tell the difference.
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

I always thought onboard sound was good enough.... until I bought a sound card. Even the $60 Creative Sound Blaster Audigy RX card I bought made a huge difference, for music and gaming. Saved me from getting knifed more than a few times in BF4, could hear them walking up from behind, much more clear and defined sound. I still use the card for gaming and TS, but picked up an external DAC / headphone amp for music listening, bet it would make those HD598s sound great. BTW, Amazon has those cans for $147, damn tempting.
    Last edited by frogmeat69; 03-19-2015 at 05:17 PM.

I would say that it depends on how much you are willing to spend. If your onboard audio has a digital output and money is no object by all means get a good external DAC w a head phone amp suitable for your headphones. But if you don't have a lot of money to spend I'd recommend getting an Asus Xonar DG (pci) or Xonar DGX (pcie). You can get these for under $50. I use the DG and run it to an external headphone amp although the built in headphone amp is pretty decent as well. I got tired of creative dropping support for their older hardware and stopped buying their products.

Asus Essence STX sound card is pretty amazing.

I hope no-one minds if I bump this thread.

I have an Asus Xonar DX and I've not plugged it in since I have a new Asus Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard. Which is going to give me the better sound and CPU utilisation?

PS for the Original Poster I would recommend a Xonar soundcard unless you are blessed with a motherboard audio system that might match one.
    puzzle: n(each):n(<3r):n(sky)|</z>>P(Name)>>>(Ish!)

Xonars now STXs or even fatality soundblasters even though not very pop[ular anymore

But some mobos have decent very good onboard sound, check em out you wont tell the difference, Asrock Purity audio or Asus Supreme FX

Heyyo,

Don't get a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon 3D or Z series sound card unless you never plan on Linux/SteamOS... their non-existent support for it is lame and the 64bit kernel firmware loader is busted.

I'd definitely recommend a USB DAC. Sometimes my Recon 3D is still prone to crackling sound but luckily the updated Windows 10 driver doesn't seem to suffer the same issue nearly as badly as before in Windows 7.
    My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf
    My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

I have a sound blaster Z and a ZXr they are great just be aware that in window 10 the pcie card some times arent seen as the right device and you might have to restart/ sleep/ reseat them to get them working again. I love mine to death but creative not trying to
    fix the issue for almost a year now is getting tiresome.

Any mobo with an ALC1150 realtek audio chip will be as good as most low end sound cards. You'll find ALC1150 is most high end mobos.

You only need a high end sound card for high fidelity sound eg music editing.

I have mixed feelings with Sound cards. I grew up only using Soundblaster and even my current system has an X-Fi Titanium powered by Logitech Z-5500's. However, a couple of years ago I decided to buy a gaming headset (Logitech G930) and it's completely changed my outlook. I pretty much only use my headset now... the sound is loud and doesn't disturb anyone since I can't play games without high audio levels. That would be something to think about instead of getting a sound card.