What are the disadvantages of using a 8350 with a lesser than 900 series chipset?

Let's say someone (definitely not me!) wasn't aware of these chipset differences before compulsively buying the first mobo/cpu combo that was within his/her budget. What can they expect to miss out on now that they are using a lesser mobo with a cpu that was designed for a 990 chipset?
    Last edited by Doothe; 03-14-2015 at 01:23 PM.

Re: What are the disadvantages of using a 8350 with a lesser than 900 series chipset?

Quote Originally Posted by Doothe View Post
    Let's say someone (definitely not me!) wasn't aware of these chipset differences before compulsively buying the first mobo/cpu combo that was within his/her budget. What can they expect to miss out on now that they are using a lesser mobo with a cpu that was designed for a 990 chipset?
    I don't think you need to worry about that. I just read yesterday that AMDs market share in desktops is down to 5%, so anyone who bought an AMD CPU probably did so by accident and won't even know they have AMD. (let alone what antiquated "features" they are missing)

Re: What are the disadvantages of using a 8350 with a lesser than 900 series chipset?

Not to mention they would have to be "compulsively buying" a chipset that was designed earlier than 2011!

Where are they making this purchase? Gilligans Island? The 990s haven't floated into the lagoon on a surfboard yet?

Most of the lessor chipsets only one Pci-e 16x slot. The other slot is 4x. Also most aren't built for and heavy overclocking as they lack cooling for Vrm's. There are a couple 970 boards that have cooling on the vrm's and a 16x and 8x pci-e slots but it is just a very few. If they are building a rig without overclocking in mind with 1 gpu then they may never see a difference.

Depends what your use is, AMD even a few years behind intel is fine for normal uses.

If internet and light gaming are your uses any of them are fine.
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

Quote Originally Posted by undersea View Post
    Depends what your use is, AMD even a few years behind intel is fine for normal uses.

If internet and light gaming are your uses any of them are fine.
    The main dangers for buying AMD these days are:

1. You get less performance and features for your money.
    2. Re-sale value is lower, and the market for re-sale much smaller.
    3. AMD might go out of business, leaving user with unsupported products.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3085...into-the-abyss

This article, in a nutshell, states AMDs only hope is take compete with intel at the high end in 2016. That happened for AMD once, for a couple years, ten years ago.

I see a different problem:

By the time Zen arrives, pretty much the whole world will be on intel platforms. As noted, for most apps, even inferior current AMD CPUs run them "OK".

What is the public's motivation to switch to AMD? Not to mention the whole market is declining as mobile devices serve an ever larger portion of the market.

I hope AMD comes back, but I wouldn't "bet the rent" on it.

You win troll. I'm removing this place from my speed dial. Why the mods allowed you to do your damage for this long is beyond me.
    Bye bye PCPerspective.
    My HTPC

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (partitioned)
    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Electric Bill View Post
    You win troll. I'm removing this place from my speed dial. Why the mods allowed you to do your damage for this long is beyond me.
    Bye bye PCPerspective.
    WTF? "Do my damage"? To what?