I am having a pc-dude mental break down and need cyber-counseling.

So....... at a very large family event tonight it became clear to me that....... it's so painfull..... it hurts........ so it became clear to me that the reason that my mothers computer has every single known communal virus on the planet, is because when she is randomly surfing and sees a ad, or a popup, or a pop-over, or anything that says "You are infected, click here," she clicks here. Then she install what ever they want and clicks every agree without reading, because it MUST be an anti virus, and she just assumed it was something I installed to keep her safe. It gets worse but this is making my head throb to keep writing, gona go take a "breather" and try to finish this.

ok, 10 mins later...........

There were words like "But it said it would clean things, why would a obgect lie to a person, it doesn;t make any sence," "After putting in over a dozen I finaly found a internet browser that goes to a search I like," "Why should I let you clean it, last time it was back to shit in a week," and so on. And it gets worse.

At said family gathering I was trying to find someone to talk to, to calm myself down, and it seems that this .... this every rig I see is soo and needs so much help it should be burned...... this horable senario is true for EVERYONE IN MY FAMILY. My grandmother and my sister and my step mother and my step brothers and my aunts and my uncles, and my younger cousins and my older cousins, and my grandmothers nurse and my nieces and my nephews........ every last one of them..... "The computer said it was sick and needed a cleaning....... am I stupid, what did I do wrong?" every last one of them.

I did try to teach them all...... back when they all discovered the internet, back when I stopped being that weird computer geek cousin and started being that free IT guy..... back when they were reserving Hotmail accounts for their newborns because "we are gona run outa e-mail adresses" ... they just dont listen to shit. They never have.

So I pose it to you allllllll, what do I do? Is this it? Do I never change a single hard drive or even plug in a sd card to a phone for another one of these ignorant self-congratulating wits? After tonight, after all the talks not one of them deserve shit. I have loved computers MY WHOLE LIFE! some people use computers, I love them. From my first vic 20 that was in the house when I was born.... I love the silicon. After talking with these...... disrespectful idiots....... I feel that they are basicaly rapeing the hardware they are using. what do I do.

Am I taking it to hard? I am genualy upset and just typeing emotionaly........ this is seriously confusing me, they dont even deserve the advice they ask for but never listen to.

What do?

Re: I am having a pc-dude mental break down and need cyber-counseling.

Sounds like you need to introduce them/their PC's to no-script and Ad-block plus

Or break out the clue-by-four

As long as you are free, it will continue. Make them take their computers to a shop, don't get involved, get amnesia, move to another state, disown the whole lot, smash the first computer brought to you with a big hammer and give it back. Pick one.

Quote Originally Posted by thewanderer View Post
    As long as you are free, it will continue. Make them take their computers to a shop, don't get involved, get amnesia, move to another state, disown the whole lot, smash the first computer brought to you with a big hammer and give it back. Pick one.
    THIS mother-fuker gets it!

It could be worse. They could be calling you. My father-in-law is good at this. There's no way of knowing when "the call" will come either. It's always the same though every time.

FIL-"Well, I think my computer might have a virus or something?"
    Me-"What's going on?
    FIL-"It's gotten a lot slower and now it's to the point that it takes 5 minutes to get to Windows."
    Me-"Have you been, oh I don't know, opening up every email that gets sent to you offering you free crap again?"
    FIL-"Ummm, no." MIL in background-"You open up every stupid ad or email you see!"
    Me-"Yeah, I'm pretty sure you've got a virus...again."
    FIL-"I ran the anti-virus and it came back with nothing." "Maybe it just needs a clean install, can you walk me through it?"
    Me-"Ummm, errrr, fine. You kept that disk that came with the motherboard right? You know, the one I marked DO NOT THROW AWAY all over it? You have that right?
    FIL-"Oh yeah."

So after walking him through a clean install over the phone, we get to the point that we need to install some drivers for the mobo. He can't seem to find them on the disk though and I eventually figure out from what he's looking at that it's the disc that came with the video card. Not too helpful when looking for the driver for the onboard LAN on the mobo! Oh, what fun.

Sounds like a good time to teach the family 2nd amendment rights and responsibilities. What are PCs for to some people anyhow?
    American Public Education Made Me Ignorant and MSM Keeps Me Stupid.

Doesn't sound like it's very unusual.

They just need some internet 'spidey sense' not to trust the popups or the dodgy downloads.

Try and set them up to never download an executable file, also next time you get each PC, when you're done with it (OS install I'm guessing!) take an image to a big backup hard drive and so if they come back, you can just backup their docs and pics and restore back to the image.

Also, an anti virus does help as well as adblocker and stuff like that. It's just how close-to-danger their usage is. If they can use email with built in spam filters and just stick to the websites they can trust, they should be ok....

Best of luck with this, I do testify this happened to me once, and Avast + Windows Defender were sort of able to fix it. Just remember the images, you'll need to let them know, if they mess up even once and the AV doesn't work they're back to an N month old sys image. Ha!

Enjoy

edit: you'll also want to setup Windows to automatically install and download updates, and the same if poss for any plugins they may use, even Shockwave Flash G'luck
    puzzle: n(each):n(<3r):n(sky)|</z>>P(Name)>>>(Ish!)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoea View Post
    Doesn't sound like it's very unusual.

They just need some internet 'spidey sense' not to trust the popups or the dodgy downloads.

Try and set them up to never download an executable file, also next time you get each PC, when you're done with it (OS install I'm guessing!) take an image to a big backup hard drive and so if they come back, you can just backup their docs and pics and restore back to the image.

Also, an anti virus does help as well as adblocker and stuff like that. It's just how close-to-danger their usage is. If they can use email with built in spam filters and just stick to the websites they can trust, they should be ok....

Best of luck with this, I do testify this happened to me once, and Avast + Windows Defender were sort of able to fix it. Just remember the images, you'll need to let them know, if they mess up even once and the AV doesn't work they're back to an N month old sys image. Ha!

Enjoy

edit: you'll also want to setup Windows to automatically install and download updates, and the same if poss for any plugins they may use, even Shockwave Flash G'luck
    You sound so young and sweet. This isn;t new, this is over a decade of the Normals using computers without any form of respect for the pinnacle of human achievement that is the modern pc ecosystem, and this is me giving up on them ever changing. This is me not fixing their crap anymore, they dont listen let em themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by collie man View Post
    You sound so young and sweet. This isn;t new, this is over a decade of the Normals using computers without any form of respect for the pinnacle of human achievement that is the modern pc ecosystem, and this is me giving up on them ever changing. This is me not fixing their crap anymore, they dont listen let em themselves.
    I am beginning to believe that people are deliberately being ass-holes because of a higher than usual sense of entitlement. Like, for instance, the refusal to believe that the ISP should not be expected to fix one of six computers (all of the others are working fine), because they think somehow the ISP is making just that computer not work. People refuse to use common sense, because in reality, they think they are entitled to something free even if they couldn't possibly deserve it.

Another way to put the abuse you have been suffering, and why it is clearly your fault.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

If they don't want to heed your advice, fine. And I would stop giving it to them. If they push, they tell them they can hire you and whatever the going rate is in your area.

I'm not opposed to helping people or to helping them learn. However, if they want to take sound advice and chuck it, have no part unless they want to pay for it. Money will motivate them to take things seriously, and I have heard of some folks doing this with family member that just want to call on them and have no intention of knowing anything about their PC.

My dad is a mechanic, so yes, I've been in the shop with him, and occasionally still do. More and more, I either do it myself or have my mechanic do it. Now, some things I know are straight forward to do, but I don't have the tools, I'll see about. I might ask advice time to time, sometimes as a second opinion if I'm not sure. However, I know and learn about my car so I have some idea about what might be going on. I probably could fix it, but I don't have the tools or the time, hence why I pay someone. I usually bring my dad some beers when he helps me. I try to respect people's time.

Change all their browser shortcuts to something that will display "No!" in big bold letters across thescreen, or do what mmettin said

Quote Originally Posted by RatzKlaw View Post
    Change all their browser shortcuts to something that will display "No!" in big bold letters across thescreen, or do what mmettin said
    This guy I like

Adblock plus works wonders.