Apr 2015

Best Way To Get 5.1 Sound

What would be the best way to get 5.1 sound out of external speakers for games the way the developer intended. Buy that I mean without any extra stuff in software artificially making footsteps louder and the like a pure experience.

Would that be onboard realtek alc 1150 any knowledge appreciated.

I plan on getting a EVGA mATX X99 board.
    Speakers I currently have are the Audioengine A5 with the S8 subwoofer will get another pair of A5 for the rear.

Re: Best Way To Get 5.1 Sound

The best way would be to get a dedicated sound card.
    But I'm biased that way.
    That said.
    That board with realtek supports 5.1
    Just make sure you plug speakers in correctly.
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

Mar 2003
    Central NJ

Re: Best Way To Get 5.1 Sound

Onboard sound will do it... the only way you're going to get those effects you're talking about is to enable them in software. That said, onboard isn't going to be the highest quality option, but for 5.1 your only real alternatives would be a dedicated internal sound card, or a 5.1 channel receiver and output the audio (but not video) over HDMI to the receiver. The receiver is definitely a pretty unwieldy solution, so a standard sound card would be a lot cleaner.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present