Keeping a moderately over-clocked workstation running 24/7, best practice or not?

Hi, I'm embarking on an adventure to build a new PC and return to the Windows world, after having a Mac Pro workstation for many many years. My build will serve as both a workstation for image processing and some app development, and yes, some gaming too .

What I'm really looking for is some advice regarding any long term consequences if I were to keep the workstation on 24/7 especially if I over-clock the CPU a bit. I really want the workstation to be on and available from my network any time i need it, whether kicking off a process from a remote desktop session or just waking up the system to do some work or gaming. In terms of normal usage, I won't be running the system hard 24/7, in fact the hardest will likely be only when I'm gaming, which unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of time for, but again, I just prefer to have the machine be on and available over my home network.

Anyway, my current plan was to base the system workstation class motherboards, either the Z97, Devil's Canyon i7 route with an ASUS Z97 WS or X99 Haswell-E with the ASUS X99-E WS, depending on how much I really want to spend/future-proof (if there was such a thing). In either case I would like to OC a little.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Re: Keeping a moderately over-clocked workstation running 24/7, best practice or not?

PCs can handle 100% duty no problem. Even consumer-grade parts will happily keep running more or less forever. Hard drives actually last longer if they're never turned off, because they suffer the most wear and tear on spinning up.

Re: Keeping a moderately over-clocked workstation running 24/7, best practice or not?

Thanks for the confirmation. This was my understanding as well but I didn't know if over-clocking the CPU would add an extra level of wear to the system due to heat load.

Cheers,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuthal View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation. This was my understanding as well but I didn't know if over-clocking the CPU would add an extra level of wear to the system due to heat load.
    Only if the cooling is inadequate, just make sure the CPU has decent cooling and you should be fine.

A little off topic but the new titan x has a much higher clock speed for the water cooled part from EVGA because the cooling is going to be greater. Its the same part just over clocked higher.

Get you cooling right and you will be fine.

I don't know if there's a definitive answer on this, but I would be eat-my-shorts shocked if you didn't get 5 + years from the system running 24/7 with the workload you mention. Bar any spinny disks, perhaps.

Take a punt and go for it, that's my advice, you probably don't even have to look for a motherboard with uprated capacitors any more. Ok, maybe you do, but I think the days of mobo using underspec faulty soon-bulging caps, and GPU having mounting issue in manufacturing, are far behind us. Thanks be to worl
    puzzle: n(each):n(<3r):n(sky)|</z>>P(Name)>>>(Ish!)