Easiest way to transfer Win7 userdata to another system?

So, my am2+ mainboard just recently died together with my Phenom II CPU (don't ask). Everything else including my system SSD and my HDDs are just fine and I'll move to a Z97 platform shortly. Now I wonder what the easiest way would be to keep the userdata of my old system when I have to reinstall windows 7 on the new one. I do have a substitute PC with Windows XP running right now so I have access to all my data if needed. Any ideas to ease the process would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Marv83; 04-25-2015 at 05:06 PM.

Re: Easiest way to transfer Win7 userdata to another system?

Quote Originally Posted by Marv83 View Post
    So, my am2+ mainboard just recently died together with my Phenom II CPU (don't ask). Everything else including my system SSD and my HDDs are just fine and I'll move to a Z97 platform shortly. Now I wonder what the easiest way would be to keep the userdata of my old system when I have to reinstall windows 7 on the new one. I do have a substitute PC with Windows XP running right now so I have access to all my data if needed. Any ideas to ease the process would be appreciated.
    I've updated several times with Windows 7 to a new mainboard. Each time I installed a backup of the old installation and Windows 7 found the new drivers and installed them. I will say that the new board/cpu wasn't a large leap ahead.

Did you just install windows over the old installation?

Did you just install windows over the old installation?
    No, used an image made with Macrium Reflect.

sttubs is offline Always learning something

I've switched motherboards using Win 7 a couple of times & did not have to reinstall the OS. Just install the new drivers after you swap the board & reactivate Windows when the prompt comes up.
    AMD 8350 w/Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk Ed - Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/4x4gb GSkill Ripjaws 1600 CL7 - Samsung 850 Evo 500gb - WD Black 5Tb - Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming OC Ed - Win 10 Pro 64bit - Lite-On iHES108 - White Corsair 500r w/Corsair AX860i 860W - ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

Heat: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=55337
    Ebay: http://myworld.ebay.com/sttubs/

It seems like the days of a mandatory reinstall after motherboard upgrades are fading away.

Quote Originally Posted by Big B-man View Post
    It seems like the days of a mandatory reinstall after motherboard upgrades are fading away.
    I sure hope so. Cause I can't start windows 7 on my substitute PC right now because of the different Hardware setup. The original setup was an AM2+ AMD790FX Chipset, the current substitute PC (where it doesn't work) is an AM2 NForce Chipset and the new System (coming next week) will be a Z97 Chipset. Considering that it doesn't even manage the switch between the AMD790FX and the NForce chipset, I have my doubts that it'll boot up Windows 7 on the new Z97 platform without a reinstall.

Even if you have the same manufacturer for the chipset, it's better to err on the side of caution and back up before hand. I've been on Intel chipsets for my main rig for awhile now, but I may see how my frankenstein rig works when I power it up.

YES! With the new system it actually worked just fine!
    Don't know why it wouldn't run on the old system but that had an Nvidia chipset and maybe Nvidia has some weird arbitrary restrictions for that - Nvidia likes to enforce stuff like that. Anyway, main thing is that it works and the system seems to be stable as well.

YES! With the new system it actually worked just fine!
    Don't know why it wouldn't run on the old system but that had an Nvidia chipset and maybe Nvidia has some weird arbitrary restrictions for that - Nvidia likes to enforce stuff like that. Anyway, main thing is that it works and the system seems to be stable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sttubs View Post
    I've switched motherboards using Win 7 a couple of times & did not have to reinstall the OS. Just install the new drivers after you swap the board & reactivate Windows when the prompt comes up.
    it works majority of the time!!