Dual Xeon's - NUMA or SMP - I think SMP is faster...?

Hi I have toying around with NUMA and SMP and as they say NUMA should run better on Windows 7 x64 SP1.

It's hard to get hard proof but the only proof I have is basically that NUMA is clearly not Symmetrical processing at least not on more than 1 processor.

Here you can see CPU #1 gets hit hard on encoding, yet CPU #2 isn't being put to work at all or hardly at all...

This is SMP and it hits evenly on all threads keeping the CPU(s) cooler.

This is max multi-core turbo mode multi at x22

This is absolute peak potential turbo mode on 2 cores x23... If we could figure out a way to lock her down at x23 across all 24 threads I'd probably faint/ throw up/ lose my mind/ proceed to blow my mind lol ...

Last edited by chris89; 04-29-2015 at 11:49 PM.

Re: Dual Xeon's - NUMA or SMP - I think SMP is faster...?

I'm not sure what you're basing your conclusions on, cpu temperatures?
    FWIW I'd say those temps are high. If one of my procs hit 84 degrees I'd shut down and start tearing things apart to see what's wrong.
    To me it looks like hot air from cpu 2 is passing thru the heatsink for cpu 1, and the cooling is inadequate.

That said, NUMA will generally perform better. Memory will be local to running threads and reduce latency due to accessing memory on a different node.

However, it's going to depend on what software you are using. Most software isn't NUMA aware, but most threads/processes don't allocate enough memory for it to become an issue. For small memory loads NUMA will be faster due to reduced latency. Start allocating a bunch of memory used by multiple threads and NUMA can cause penalties if the software was not written with NUMA in mind.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

Really? From my experience with encoding video on ImToo Video Converter HD Ultimate, Cyberlink PowerDirector 12, MediaCoder x64 has seen slower performance.

I just notice we don't hit on CPU #2 like it does on SMP so we get better over-all performance on all threads with SMP.

You can see in Post #1 that SMP and the temps are more symmetrical.

About the temps yeah 84C is a bit hot but that's as hot as it'll ever get. I use Fujipoly 17w/m K thermal pads at 0.5mm thickness so the thermal solution isn't the cause of the high temps. Using thermal paste I saw even higher temps by quite a bit.

The Dell Precision T7500 runs as quiet as a mouse, you can barely hear it running under 100% full load. Since the bios doesn't ramp up the fans until 88 degrees Celsius. The only way I could reduce CPU temps is replace the 240mm delta fan that cools CPU #1 and ram, since CPU #2 has a fan on it's heatsink. I was thinking about replacing the fans with 12v fans and running the "Sense" wire to the fan header so the BIOS doesn't freak out and operate at 12v all the time. As long as I get silent high performance fans...

Maybe if I replace both CPU heatsinks with heavy copper heatsinks with fans and wire the fans to 12 volts...

This is SMP AIDA64 CPU QUEEN

I'll post NUMA AIDA64 CPU QUEEN --- I know it's a couple thousand points less...
    Last edited by chris89; 04-30-2015 at 01:22 AM.

Here's a more in depth comparison I did... I even went as far as to run the tests over and over to get the very best score for each processing mode.

NUMA

SMP

Last edited by chris89; 04-30-2015 at 04:01 AM.

Nice screenshots in post 1!

Given the close passmark ratings, and the fact that your temps are much more low on SMP, I'd just run SMP on the box, unless there is some specific use case (like say video editing) where a particular well used piece of software shows a notable (10%+?) performance delta on NUMA vs SMP.

I think you got a very good answer here too from Smoked Trout:

However, it's going to depend on what software you are using. Most software isn't NUMA aware, but most threads/processes don't allocate enough memory for it to become an issue. For small memory loads NUMA will be faster due to reduced latency. Start allocating a bunch of memory used by multiple threads and NUMA can cause penalties if the software was not written with NUMA in mind.
    Basically, unless you are running a server with highly loaded NUMA aware tasks, you're fine on either while || and probably best going for the cooler one, efficiency wise.
    puzzle: n(each):n(<3r):n(sky)|</z>>P(Name)>>>(Ish!)