High End System - Non-GAmer

I want to build a high end system. Not being a gamer, I assume that I don't need a GPU.

I assume that I can use the current leaderboard build (Intel Core i7-4790K) & just omit the discreet GPU. Correct?

I run Ubuntu 14.4 & use the system for web browsing, Thunderbird mail, Libre Office, and some Windows apps via Wine.

No video editing, or gaming.

I just want a fast, responsive system. Skipping GPU & sound card gets me to about $750.

Am I missing anything?

Re: High End System - Non-GAmer

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRIdgePro View Post
    I want to build a high end system. Not being a gamer, I assume that I don't need a GPU.

I assume that I can use the current leaderboard build (Intel Core i7-4790K) & just omit the discreet GPU. Correct?

I run Ubuntu 14.4 & use the system for web browsing, Thunderbird mail, Libre Office, and some Windows apps via Wine.

No video editing, or gaming.

I just want a fast, responsive system. Skipping GPU & sound card gets me to about $750.

Am I missing anything?
    Welcome to the forums.

In this particular case, you wouldn't even need the 4790k.

If you didn't know, the intel "K" series processors are designed to be overclocked. (they are multiplier unlocked)

So, if you dont need the overclockable processor, you wouldn't need that particular mobo either.

If you are just doing general stuff,(which it looks like you are) you would probably be better off buying an off the shelf system. Think dell/lenovo

If you really have your heart set on building a system, then let us know your budget.

If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?

What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0?

Would you be doing any transcoding?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've been building my own systems for many years. I don't do off the shelf systems so that I can avoid features that I don't need and concentrate my investment on things I want.

In this case, I want fast - fast boot, fast response, fast file operations. I've got a half dozen older systems that I've used over the years and that range from a bit slow to a lot slow

I don't do transcoding, video editing, or gaming. Nothing that leads me to believe that a GPU is needed. I seldom even watch video.

USB 3 is a must. RAID is also something that I may use. No use for Firewire. Crossfire and SLI not needed (no video cards...)

Budget is not all that important. I see no need to pay a premium for newly released, bleeding edge, components. I've been around long enough to realize that today's $3000 system is next years $600 system.

I'd be interested in your experience with methods or tools to select motherboards and/or CPUs based upon various criteria.

In the past I've always gone with component combinations recommended on sites like PCPER, Tom's, or Patrick Norton's adventures. I've never seen an explanation of how the configurations were selected. (like what process goes into making HW leaderboard selections?)

Once or twice, I've simply picked the most powerful CPU with onboard graphics that's reasonably priced (usually one generation back) and then picked a motherboard that supports it. Given my modest feature requirements, that generally works. Picking an SSD with good performance is also an interesting challenge.

I got to this note by looking at the HW Leaderboard, wanting more than the budget or intermediate system performance, but not feeling the need to pay for a graphics card - thus the 'high end' build, minus the graphics card.

I could probably do better, but I am not aware of sites that make it easy to select from the many CPUs and motherboards is any logical way. Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRIdgePro View Post
    <chop>

I could probably do better, but I am not aware of sites that make it easy to select from the many CPUs and motherboards is any logical way. Suggestions?
    PChound or Pcpartpicker come to mind

https://pchound.com

http://pcpartpicker.com/

Just what I was looking for. Thanks !!