Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Two CrossFire Bridges - Which one to use on my video card?

I just purchased two identical ATI Radeon HD 5770 on the cheap (relatively speaking, of course) and wanted to try out CrossFire for the first time.

The graphics card has TWO CrossFire bridges, presumably to support linking three graphic cards.

I like to know if there is a naming scheme to the two bridges. Which is bridge #1? Which is bridge #2? Even if it does not matter which one I use, I like to know if there is numeric assignment to these bridges (much like USB ports, like Port #1, Port #2, etc.)?

Re: Two CrossFire Bridges - Which one to use on my video card?

AFAIK they are interchangeable

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Thanks, mod. Even though they are "interchangeable", do you know the convention of which is bridge #1 and which is bridge #2? Surely, like ports, these would be numbered?

Quote Originally Posted by to1337ca View Post
    Thanks, mod. Even though they are "interchangeable", do you know the convention of which is bridge #1 and which is bridge #2? Surely, like ports, these would be numbered?
    Doesn't matter, they are electrically the same

mmettin is correct. To expand a bit: It really doesn't matter, the cards will automatically figure out which is which. The connectors may be numbered on some technical document somewhere, but they are physically identical, links are automatically negotiated by the cards and which one you use should be determined purely by your preference. Even in 3 or 4-way CF with multiple bridges the relationship between the cards is controlled by which PCI-E slot the cards occupy (card closest to CPU is the "master") rather than positioning of the bridges.

I have preferred the port closest to the backplate in the past simply because the bridge isn't super attractive to look at and its usually less visible there from the window. Luckily this isn't an issue with AMD's new bridge-less CF tech

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Thank you kindly. It is great to get this clarified from a knowledgeable mod like you.