Windows 10 Annoyances

In case anyone is setting up a box, I compiled this list of stuff that annoyed me and how to change it:

Disable Web Search
    Start, type random gibberish. Click Cog, turn off Include web search results

Default Browser
    Start > Settings. System > Default apps.

Shrink Start Menu
    drag edge to make narrower (may need to remove tiles first)

Disable Lock Screen Splash (pointless keystrokes or clicks)
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization]
    "NoLockScreen"=dword:00000001
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\TestHooks]
    "Threshold"=dword:00000000
    Remove Search Bar
    Right click taskbar, Search > Hidden

Remove Task Switcher
    Right click taskbar, Show Task View button

Snap Behaviour
    Start > Settings. System > Multitasking disable When I snap a window, show what I can snap next to it

Privacy
    Start > Settings. Privacy
    General
    • advertising id (tracking)
    • how I type (tracking, pw leakage?)
    • language list (tracking)

Location - turn off
    Account Info - turn off sharing
    Contacts - turn off
    Messaging - turn off
    Background apps - turn off
    Camera / Microphone - turn off

Enable Hibernate
    Control Panel > Power Options > Choose What Buttons Do. Shutdown Settings. (may need to do powercfg -h on)

Re: Windows 10 Annoyances

thanks for taking the time to post that. bookmarked

#1 aggravated the ...... .. out of me when i first started testing back
    in october and shut it off. i will try your method next install.

ud

Hi all, I have a question about Win 10. Now I know the home edition will have updates done automatically and you can't turn them off the pro edition you can somewhat control them. Now the thing is when updates do come, will they update everything? Including Vid card drivers or sound card drivers? Because Win 7 does that to, it searches for drivers for those cards installed. I have that turned off because that would cause problems how can we control this in Win 10? I do not want it to download drivers for anything else in my PC, only what pertains to Windows. I will go to Nvidia or Creative, etc etc for my drivers obviously, never let windows download those drivers for you.

this article pretty much sums it up for the moment. time will only tell.

Windows 10 Automatic Updates Start Causing Problems

ud

Thanks for the link that pretty much sums up all my questions. :/ Looks like I won't be upgrading anytime soon there's no way in hell I would want Win to update my mobo/vid/sound card etc etc drivers. Major problems with come from that. I was looking forward to Dx 12 only reason I want Win 10, maybe MS will change their policy on the pro edition, to have it like Win 7 select only what you want to install.

without wasting our time dissecting microsoft's thinking, let's just say it leaves me
    scratching my head.

ud

I may have just found the answer to fix this mess:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

"How to hide or block Windows Updates or driver updates in Windows 10"

Now I can get Win 10 home 64bit But will still wait a few months to see how it goes.

ud

Very nice, thanks.

I've discovered an Win 10 annoyance. Cortana does not work with Excel very well, at least Excel 2013. If you open Excel directly, all is well, but if you click on an excel file, say on your desktop, it takes about 10 seconds to open. If you disable Cortana and reboot, the problem goes away.

BTW, I used to be a mod here under the same name, had to re-register. Nice to be back.

Hmm, it seems I was found and am still listed as a mod. I was a mod for the gigabyte Intel motherboards. Anyway, nice to be back. I've still followed PC Per pretty regularly, but just got out of getting on forums.
    But when I discovered this Win 10 issue with Excel, I figured, I gotta pass this on, and where better than these forums.
    Gigabyte P55A-UD4P, Core i7-860 Lynnfield at 3.6GHz, ZALMAN CNPS10X QUIET 120mmCPU HSF, CORSAIR Vengeance (2 x 4GB) DDR3 at 1640, PowerColor HD5870, Earthworks 650W PSU, Samsung 840 EVO 120g SSD (W10 Pro 64-bit), 320G Blue Caviar storage, LiteOn DVD burner, Antec 902 case [B]
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3, i5 2500K OCed at 4.5GHz, CM 212 Hyper Plus, G. Skill Ripjaws 4G X 2 2133 Ram, Samsung 840 EVO 250G, 3Tb Seagate HDD, unknown DVD drive, XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870, PC Power and Cooling 610 Silencer, Fractal Define R4 Case, LG 27" AOC IPS monitor, Win 10 Home 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by T112ee5P View Post
    Thanks for the link that pretty much sums up all my questions. :/ Looks like I won't be upgrading anytime soon there's no way in hell I would want Win to update my mobo/vid/sound card etc etc drivers. Major problems with come from that. I also heard that https://skinnyexpress.com/phen375-review-and-results the new phen375 is awesome. I was looking forward to Dx 12 only reason I want Win 10, maybe MS will change their policy on the pro edition, to have it like Win 7 select only what you want to install.
    Thanks for posting this Luthair, another thing with Windows 10 is that my calculator seems to have disappeared. Has anyone else had this happen?

And Cortana just doesn't work at all for me. Windows 7 was much better imo.
    Last edited by ArtiChoke; 12-19-2016 at 05:08 AM.

Thanks for sharing this. Installed Win10 and right away had the issue with the connectivity of my laserjet printer. Got it resolved with the assistance of their support center. Will refer to your thread (god forbid) if any one of them occurs.