Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hugh

1 100.00%
  • Jake

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

$1000 4k Gaming PC challenge

Recently me and my friend have made a bet that we could make a better gaming computer than the other if we had a $1000 budget. This computer is designed for 4k gaming. Over the course of the next few days we have vigorously researched which parts we want in the system and have finally finished our theoretical builds. We want you to pick which computer is better.

EDIT: As this is a challenge we have locked ourselves to $1000 and we are rating these computer at their 4k gaming performance

Jake build: I5 4690k (Water cooled)
    MSI 797 Gaming mobo
    Crucial 10 gb (1x8gb) + (1x2gb) DDR3 ram
    Kingston 120 gb ssd
    Hitachi Deskstar 2tb 7200 rpm
    Asus gtx 970 Strix
    EVGA Supernova 650W 80+Gold
    Thermal Take Versa case
    (Vote Jake)

"This PC's CPU power won't cause any bottlenecks and will alow the GPU to be used to it's max power. The extra ram will also be useful at 4k and ther is plenty of cooling to overclock"

Hugh Build: AMD FX 8320e (Cooler Master RR-HT2)
    MSI 760GM mobo
    G-Skill Value Series 8gb DDR3 1333
    Hitatchi Ultrastar 1tb 7200RPM
    EVGA 980ti ACX 2.0
    CoolMax 500W 80+ Certified
    2x Kingwin 120mm fans
    (Vote Hugh)

"At 4k this build will be great because the GPU should still be used to about 80% before being bottlenecked which is still better than the 970. The extra VRAM will also be useful for games with larger texture packs. The CPU should still be able to overclock to 4.3GHz even on this crappy mobo. This build is only designed for 4k and not any lower resolution as the CPU would bottleneck"

Why Pick Jake (Hugh's Negatives)
    *Hugh's motherboard is not good at overclocking
    *Not a good enough CPU
    *Not enough ram
    *Graphics card money could have been spread out better
    *No SSD

Why Pick Hugh (Jake's Negatives)
    * Graphics card is very limited at 4k
    *Lack of fans=more heat
    *Not enough dedicated graphics memory
    *GPU will be limited (100% usage) before CPU can stretch its legs giving no gaming boost

We will be counting votes in a couple of days
    Thank you

THE PC'S SHOULD ONLY BE RANKED BY THERE GAMING PERFORMANCE AT 4K

Re: $1000 4k Gaming PC challenge

980ti is faster then 970....

The poll is meaningless.

Someone spending $600 on great GPU would never bottleneck it with a crappy AMD CPU:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic.../Results-Heavy

Would never happen in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    The poll is meaningless.

Someone spending $600 on great GPU would never bottleneck it with a crappy AMD CPU:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic.../Results-Heavy

Would never happen in real life.
    Bottleneck? Maybe something below a 6300 would, but anything above that cann power 3 Furtys, Jeth shush plz, i see the admins already said something to you. you seem to have issues, incancenstendtly posting amd this amd that, is like jack nicolson in as good as it gets, either your a former disgrunteled emplyee acusing fans of being employees of amd ironically ir I dunno, did a mexican amd guy steal yer job?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyd3r View Post
    Bottleneck? Maybe something below a 6300 would, but anything above that cann power 3 Furtys, Jeth shush plz, i see the admins already said something to you. you seem to have issues, incancenstendtly posting amd this amd that, is like jack nicolson in as good as it gets, either your a former disgrunteled emplyee acusing fans of being employees of amd ironically ir I dunno, did a mexican amd guy steal yer job?
    The review I linked to was done by the website you are on, and showed a less expensive intel dual core significantly outperforming a FX 8370.

Are you saying you know more than Ryan, the site owner and reviewer?

Did you know AMD themselves give reviewers intel CPUs to benchmark their GPUs, and recommend reviewers use intel CPUs?

http://techreport.com/review/24086/a...adeon-hd-8790m

Why are you trying to trick gamers into believing AMD CPUs are a good choice for gaming?

I'm the only one posting valid information in this thread.

You are attempting to deceive buyers without links to backing data collected by review sites.

Shame on you.

The review I linked to was done by the website you are on, and showed a less expensive intel dual core significantly outperforming a FX 8370.

Are you saying you know more than Ryan, the site owner and reviewer?

Did you know AMD themselves give reviewers intel CPUs to benchmark their GPUs, and recommend reviewers use intel CPUs?

http://techreport.com/review/24086/a...adeon-hd-8790m

Why are you trying to trick gamers into believing AMD CPUs are a good choice for gaming?

I'm the only one posting valid information in this thread.

You are attempting to deceive buyers without links to backing data collected by review sites.

Shame on you.
    Nah Ryan just knows more then you, at least he shows thats its one intel thats cheap that can outperform evertything else costs and arm and a leg, but htey your a gamer taht games with what he wants, whats sad is that your not a 13 year old, act like one, hey at least you support your own hobbie, but im sure in other areas you lack, you know what they say about those who need "big engines". in any case maybe your on another planet, but I think in most cases for the price amd is a better value, if you deny that then your a lost cause

Nah Ryan just knows more then you, at least he shows thats its one intel thats cheap that can outperform evertything else costs and arm and a leg, but htey your a gamer taht games with what he wants, whats sad is that your not a 13 year old, act like one, hey at least you support your own hobbie, but im sure in other areas you lack, you know what they say about those who need "big engines". in any case maybe your on another planet, but I think in most cases for the price amd is a better value, if you deny that then your a lost cause
    So 95% of desktop PC users are a "lost cause"? LOL

Intel CPUs are dirt cheap for what you get.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-284-_-Product

AMD FX-8350 4GHz CPU: $169.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-372-_-Product

intel 4690K 3.5GHz CPU: $239.99

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/d...and-i5-4690k/5

Now look at the minimum fps on the games:

Game........................AMD FX8350......................intel4690K
    F1...............................69....................................95

Bioshock......................12.....................................28

Tomb Raider.................72.....................................72

Sleeping Dogs................51....................................61

COH..............................21....................................23

BF4...............................63....................................86

Wowee! The AMD CPU was as good of a product to have on 1 of 6 games!

So 95% of desktop PC users are a "lost cause"? LOL

Intel CPUs are dirt cheap for what you get.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-284-_-Product

AMD FX-8350 4GHz CPU: $169.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-372-_-Product

intel 4690K 3.5GHz CPU: $239.99

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/d...and-i5-4690k/5

Now look at the minimum fps on the games:

Game........................AMD FX8350......................intel4690K
    F1...............................69....................................95

Bioshock......................12.....................................28

Tomb Raider.................72.....................................72

Sleeping Dogs................51....................................61

COH..............................21....................................23

BF4...............................63....................................86

Wowee! The AMD CPU was as good of a product to have on 1 of 6 games!
    No 95% of intel users dont care. Most pcs are bought retail, and this is about marketing and captalism maybe you can understand this. Ppl go to walmart to buy a device called a computer and most of them dont even know what intel or amd is,, most stores carry a lot of intel, and employees are encouraged to make them WHATEVER makes them money which in general intel gives them more percentage. Ok, now most intel pcs bought are retail where does that make me say ppl who buy intel are a lost cause, you may be but not your average person contributing to your little "facts"

LMFAO when you want to show me a bench of two cpus make sure one doesnt cost almost 100 US$ more then theh one that loses. Buit the funny part is in case you didnt realize even the one that loses gets more then enouigh power to run anything. And your paying 100 more for bragging rights. Its like deabating with you is like debating with a child who got a pc 2 months ago when the funny part is your an "old school" member here not known for being knowledgeable but more like the bar drunk yelling budweiser hell yeah everyone drinks it

Btw chart would be 2 of 6 if BF 4 werent limited to 4 threads, there was a point it could use 8 but not anymore, so yeah it costs 100 more for what? When if using same video and monitor I doubt you would see a difference
    Last edited by Spyd3r; 09-16-2015 at 11:24 PM.

No 95% of intel users dont care. Most pcs are bought retail, and this is about marketing and captalism maybe you can understand this. Ppl go to walmart to buy a device called a computer and most of them dont even know what intel or amd is,, most stores carry a lot of intel, and employees are encouraged to make them WHATEVER makes them money which in general intel gives them more percentage. Ok, now most intel pcs bought are retail where does that make me say ppl who buy intel are a lost cause, you may be but not your average person contributing to your little "facts"
    Source for your claim intel PCs make stores more money? Or are you just guessing?
    I disagree with your hypothesis that most people spending hundreds (sometimes 1000s) of dollars on an appliance don't bother to Google what products are best. I'm in the high tax brackets, and money is still important enough to me that I research everything I buy.

LMFAO when you want to show me a bench of two cpus make sure one doesnt cost almost 100 US$ more then theh one that loses.
    Since when is $70 "almost $100"? My point with picking the 4690K was that for $70 more people get a processor that decisively beats AMD, and $229 is not a lot of money for most computer gamers. A new game costs $60, not many gamers are foolish enough to save the price of a game and have ALL their games run worse. BTW- computer gamers definitely read reviews.

Buit the funny part is in case you didnt realize even the one that loses gets more then enouigh power to run anything. And your paying 100 more for bragging rights.
    Really? That 12fps fps at Bioshock Infinite and 21 fps at COH2 represent "smooth gaming" to you? Know anything about minimum framerate relation to fluidity at all? Beyond that, benchmarking is not equivalent to online gaming or worst case scenarios. Higher framerates are ALWAYS desirable because you want to stay above (or as close to) 30fps as possible for your minimums.

Its like deabating with you is like debating with a child who got a pc 2 months ago when the funny part is your an "old school" member here not known for being knowledgeable but more like the bar drunk yelling budweiser hell yeah everyone drinks it
    I'd say the same about you.

I link to respected web review sites for facts that support my positions, you only give your opinions which cannot be supported by facts.

Btw chart would be 2 of 6 if BF 4 werent limited to 4 threads, there was a point it could use 8 but not anymore, so yeah it costs 100 more for what? When if using same video and monitor I doubt you would see a difference
    Again, it is $70, but the cheaper i3 also does better than the AMD parts in those games. If your only argument is price, the intel i3 is the better deal. This has to really suck for guys like you trying to pimp AMD's low IPC parts.

Spyd3r, I think you are trying to deliberately deceive people and convince them to buy inferior parts.

Please post links to some independent web reviews that support your claims.

I say there is no reason a gamer in 2015 building a PC should even look at an AMD cpu. Prove me wrong.

1) Yes im trying to "convince" ppl with wizardry and 10k year old sourcery that you are a lost cause

2)100 vs 70 wow big difference you still havent shown something EQUAL

3) Ever hear of vsync? Ever hear of above 60 is optimal so your 72 go brag to some ladie about it if you even got the balls

4) Correction I give facts everyone knows, amd being better bang for buck is not an opinion. You calling the kettle black is and posting irrelevant news about who attends amd events or market share shows your knowledge, ill bet you cant even tell the difference between a optical screw and a mobo screw....

5)Thats it new meme, i3 can perform better then BF 4 with an 8 core when it had the command to use more then 4 threads, you truly are an intel last action hero jethy

Spyd3r, I think you are trying to deliberately deceive people and convince them to buy inferior parts.

Please post links to some independent web reviews that support your claims.

I say there is no reason a gamer in 2015 building a PC should even look at an AMD cpu. Prove me wrong.
    Prove you wrong? Me deceive or you deceive like a robot retail employee who your boses tell you what to sell, and that will answer your question on how I claim intel makes companies more money, your the capitalist know it all you should know this. But I dont like to give too much into out, all I can tell is is you ready,,, worked for 2 OEms, wait what were you a writer who read forbes..... In the end what do I have?something called EXPERIENCE, something you lack.

But if you want me to prove you wrong I will as usual without needing to waste 5 min looking for a benchmark which you will just auto dismiss and pull some sorcery bs to counter it. All I need to prove you wrong is with 2 cpus which are AMD kings right now, show me for 100 us dollars an intel equivalent that will outperform a 6300 or 8300, I dont need to look at any benchs, be my guest. ANd make sure they use at least 4 threads and not one like in 2003 thank you jethy
    Last edited by Spyd3r; 09-17-2015 at 04:12 PM.

If a person can only afford $100 for a CPU they should get a console and call it a day. They cannot afford computer gaming.

If a person can only afford $100 for a CPU they should get a console and call it a day. They cannot afford computer gaming.
    I think you just made the definition for the word snob or naive either one. Maybe someone ppl like to use 70 r even 50 bucks for something else? I dunno maybe you should try it you know, flowers, chocolate, bottle of wine.....

But since you like to play the prove me wrong game go ahead be my guest and show us poor only 100 dollar cpu ppl if an intel 100 dollar one can even come close

I think you just made the definition for the word snob or naive either one. Maybe someone ppl like to use 70 r even 50 bucks for something else? I dunno maybe you should try it you know, flowers, chocolate, bottle of wine.....

But since you like to play the prove me wrong game go ahead be my guest and show us poor only 100 dollar cpu ppl if an intel 100 dollar one can even come close
    I stand by what I said. If $70 is a big deal to a person, they need to be thinking consoles. They just don't have enough money for a proper gaming computer and shouldn't waste it on some AMD parts that are obsolete the day you open them.

I don't even consider $100 CPUs good enough for anything except grandma to send emails with.