How to clean install Windows 10 on upgraded Win 7?

So I've updated two systems to Windows 10, both previously windows 7: desktop that I built and an HP laptop. The desktop suffered some initial hiccups but they seem to have cleared up.

The laptop had fewer issues but has one issue that persists - unusually long load up. It's an HP dv7, i7 2720QM (2.2) with 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD and a fingerprint scanner. In the past, I could hit the start button and be at the login screen in ~15 seconds (yes, that fast!). Now, it's taking over 1:30. YOWZA! Let's say it's quite noticeable.

I'm guessing the bootup sequence isn't optimized...there's some type of conflict...etc... and I'm thinking a clean install may alleviate the issue, but what are you thoughts? Also, since this was a downloaded update, how would I go about doing a clean install.

Thanks!

Re: How to clean install Windows 10 on upgraded Win 7?

Well you can log into both machines using your live account. That will save them under your devices in your live account. Then download the iso and either burn it or use a flash drive. Then do a clean install. Since you have saved the rigs under your live account they should have no problem activating again. You may be able to skip the logging into the live account step but I am not sure. Someone else will have to chime in for that. I do know it works perfectly fine if you log the rig in with the live account.

You don't need a live account you can use a local account as long as you have done the in place upgrade from windows 7 to 10 and activated it that way - then a clean install also on a local account is very easy since your hardware was now registered with the hardware string on the MS servers. All you would do with a clean install is "skip" each time it asks you to enter a key and such, and then you want to pay attention during the setup part where it recommends you to use default settings. Go manual on that one and disable all the settings that would give up initial privacy then proceed.

where is there a downloadable .iso file when you log into your live account? I don't see it, or do you have to do it on a computer that was updated to win 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Stugg View Post
    where is there a downloadable .iso file when you log into your live account? I don't see it, or do you have to do it on a computer that was updated to win 10?
    I'd just grab it from here

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10

ok, i downloaded the .iso file as instructed but i can't activate windows, i have tried the product key for 8.1 and 7 and neither worked. Any ideas?

If you have already installed Win 10 previously, no need to look for keys, etc.

It will automatically activate for you.

So I did the win 10 upgrade to a machine that had 8.1 installed on it. After doing some reading, it looks like I can’t use the 8.1 coa, that it is now tied to the win 10 upgrade and to that mobo only?

Quote Originally Posted by Stugg View Post
    So I did the win 10 upgrade to a machine that had 8.1 installed on it. After doing some reading, it looks like I can’t use the 8.1 coa, that it is now tied to the win 10 upgrade and to that mobo only?
    As far as I know, you are correct

So after upgrading a computer with win 8.1 to windows 10, I used a different ssd drive and installed windows 8.1 on it and it was activated, I then took another ssd and did a clean install of windows 10 on it and it was activated.
    Seems you have to download the .iso file on the updated win 10 computer to make a bootable usb to do a clean install on windows 10 on the same computer < I may be wrong on this and let me know if I am cause I am experimenting here, but I downloaded the .iso file on a different computer with win 7, and tried to do a clean install of win 10 and it would not activate.
    So I have 3 ssd drives, one with win10 upgraded from 8.1, one with 8.1 clean install, and one with win10 clean install, and all are activated. < Seems you shouldn’t be able to do this. Am I missing something?
    Or is there a 30 day thing or something, I thought I read somewhere if you didn’t like 10 you could roll it back to 8.1 or 7 if you like.

I know this is a older thread, but just thought I'd pass on this information. I've done quite a bit of tinkering around with these Windows 10 upgrades now on at least 20 customer computers. What I've been able to do, which hasn't been mentioned in this thread was I could upgrade from 32 bit crappy / buggy Windows 10 installs to 64 bit clean installs by using the following method.
    1. First upgrade the PC to Windows 10 whatever version it is allowed to install.
    2. Once the upgrade is done, you install keyfinderthing also knows as Magic Jelly Bean possibly and extract the new Windows 10 CD key and write it down or export to a text file and print it.
    3. Backup and data files you want to keep.
    4. Use the MS Windows 10 media creation tool and so far I just get the Windows 10 64 bit Pro usb setup.
    5. Boot from the USB and install Windows 10 clean and activate with the code you extracted earlier.
    It looks as if the key is hardware registered not the version of Windows.
    I have done this process 4 times now and no repercussions or issues since the installs.

Click here to visit Onetech's website
    Popup blocker advised!

"Cutting edge technology is for those who like to bleed." Onetech

In step 5 you don't have to enter a product key. Windows will automatically activate (as long as you are on the internet). The first upgrade sent a digital rights code for your particular computer to Microsoft so the activation will be automatic.