Which Is Better: 8 GB Or16GB?

I'm planning on building a new system sometime around December and was wondering which would be better, 8 GB or 16 GB of ram for the system.

Proposed System

PSU: Corsair AS860 (860 watts)
    CPU: Intel i7 Skylake 6700K
    MB: Asrock Z170 Extreme 6+
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4-3200 (8GB)
    GPU: XFX R9 380 4GB
    CPU Cooling: Corsair H110I GTX Water Cooler
    SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III

I'm just debating whether I need 8 or 16 GB of Ram. Any thoughts? I should mention that there will be some heavy gaming.

Re: Which Is Better: 8 GB Or16GB?

More is better.

I'd do the 16 Gigs

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    More is better.

I'd do the 16 Gigs
    That's the way I'm kinda leaning...........

I only would recommend currently more then 8 if using a RAMdrive, 8 alone is enough for any game smoothly

There is never a reason to have less ram, and it's always been that way. "The 32KB model is cheaper, do I really need 64KB of ram?" and the answer has always been: more ram=less worries.

THAT BEING SAID, it's that kinda thinking that led to Chrome (and others) being so heavy on ram. I've been on both sides of this conversation and it pisses me off "You use chrome? Dont you hate that it eats all your ram?" "Well I've got lots of ram so it doesnt bother me."

Quote Originally Posted by collie man View Post
    There is never a reason to have less ram, and it's always been that way. "The 32KB model is cheaper, do I really need 64KB of ram?" and the answer has always been: more ram=less worries.

THAT BEING SAID, it's that kinda thinking that led to Chrome (and others) being so heavy on ram. I've been on both sides of this conversation and it pisses me off "You use chrome? Dont you hate that it eats all your ram?" "Well I've got lots of ram so it doesnt bother me."
    Yes old school argument for the what we used to call tresure snobs.

Ill give you a better queestion, what reason is there to have overkill of RAM? Its like an empty parking lot andd the parking lot "owner: is not making his bread and butter if you know what I mean....

Btw Chrome? No offense but not that I dont think its speed is great, I dont like who makes it and who they work for

Try firefox

16 GB is better. 8 Gb will be fine in most cases but some games are starting to recommend 16 GB. Honestly with the low price of RAM these days it's kindof a no brainer. Provided you have not used up all of the DIMM slots you can always add more in the future.

16 isn't significantly more expensive then 8(excluding the ones that come with more lights than a runway and can serenade you to sleep), and with 8 becoming the new minimum, 16 is looking to be the most futureproofing/logical option

This is an excellent thread with very good pros & cons regarding 8GB vs. 16GB. The two comments that resonate most with me are:

• No need to get 16GB if you never use 8GB
    • The price of RAM has dropped significantly so the cost of 16GB is quite reasonable

If I remember correctly, CAD, photo and video editing utilize a lot of RAM, so if this is a business oriented computer, or you perform the aforementioned processes, I would say 16GB is the way to go. On the flip side, gaming, surfing the web (in most cases) really doesn't use that much RAM. And if the $30 savings can be applied to getting a better GPU, then 8GB is your answer.

Hope this helps.

Gaming has some cases that reach out beyond 8GB, SC is recommending around 16GB while a few games currently out want ~12GB iirc. Even being somewhat rare atm, the extra cost could justify the future proofing.
    Plus it's a fun challenge to see how many tabs chrome can have open before 16GB isn't enough