Jim Keller leaves AMD

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9643/j...ler-leaves-amd

Head of Zen design heads for hills.....

Re: Jim Keller leaves AMD

^^^In the article it states that all of the heavy lifting for the Zen cpu should already be done and that is why they speculate he's leaving now. That being said, I'll personally never hold my breath for an AMD cpu release ever again after the Bulldozer fiasco. I think the company is done. So what that means is Lisu Su should be ready to run for POTUS in 15 years.
    Not a GoodWhite.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    ^^^In the article it states that all of the heavy lifting for the Zen cpu should already be done and that is why they speculate he's leaving now. That being said, I'll personally never hold my breath for an AMD cpu release ever again after the Bulldozer fiasco. I think the company is done. So what that means is Lisu Su should be ready to run for POTUS in 15 years.
    I remember reading an interview of an ex-Bulldozer engineer who left pre-launch. Said the R&D budget had been slashed to bare bones, and they were relying too heavily on computer modelling rather than human engineers.

This Keller person seems like a star in the engineering world. If you're a star player, why would you tie yourself to a sinking ship? I imagine he got a better offer at one of the chip companies that will be in business in 3 years.

Also, rumor has it both MS and intel are looking at buying AMD these days. Could be Keller knows which direction they are headed and there might not be a role for him in it. (E.G. if AMD is bought by MS to build game console APUs, do they need Keller designing big chips?)

Hard to say until we see where he lands.

One thing is for sure, Keller leaving is not good news for AMD:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3521...e44cd&uprof=45