The $64 Dollar Question

OK, I've decided to upgrade my system to a Skylake processor and a z170 motherboard. What I want to know is what I have to do in order to get win 10 on the new system. I've already upgraded from 8.1 to win 10. After that I did a clean install of Win 10 using the disc image of Win 10 64-bit. Does anybody know what I need to do to install Win 10 on my new system?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Re: The $64 Dollar Question

As a general rule, the OS is tied to the motherboard, thus because you changed the motherboard, my guess is you have to buy a copy of Win10.

Another option is to contact Microsoft and tell them your old motherboard failed and you had to update to a newer one. I've never done it, nor do I know how to go about doing it, but I've seen several posts on other forums from people who were successful.

Hope this helps.

Well what I did when WarSam (soo awesome) sent me that FX 8370 I did a fresh install of win 7 with the new board, in the authenticating process they actualy gave the number to call to explain if it's legitimate. I spoke to a very nice person (not tooo long on hold), she transferred the licence to the new board when I promised that the old board and cpu were no longer in use with that licence, then I upgraded normaly. Worked for me.

I've made that call several times over the years without any problems at all. I explained what happened to the old board/cpu, the nice people renewed my license with the new setups.

I too have used the Phone-A-Friend method several times with good results.
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

get it put together with the new stuff, when it doesnt activate, call microsoft and tell em it got hit by lightning and you had to replace exactly what you replaced