Laptop not finding hard drive on start up

Hello all. I have a Dell 7559-763BLK Laptop with a core I5 skylake processor a Gforce 960m graphics chip and a 256GB SSD. I have had the laptop approximately 2 Weeks and I have had it boot twice to the uefi and tell me that there was no hard drive installed. This of cours is not true and if i wait about 30 min and try to boot again itll boot to windows just fine. I have contacted Dell and run diagnostics both say the computer is just fine. I know that this is not true. Yall have any idea what is going on???

Re: Laptop not finding hard drive on start up

I would first see if the laptop chipset drivers needs updating. If you don't know how to do this, Dell should have a service portal on their website where you can enter in your laptop info and it should give you the manuals you need. If you're still stuck, you should be able to phone in for help.

IIUIC, it should be under warranty. If it's still broke, nag them until they agree to take a look at it. Be sure to spell out exactly how it happens so they can repeat it.
    Last edited by Skennar; 12-14-2015 at 07:27 AM.
    American Public Education Made Me Ignorant and MSM Keeps Me Stupid.

To me, it sounds like the HDD is failing, possibly a bad boot sector. I had an SSD that displayed similar behavior.

If you can, create a recovery disc (one that restores the computer to the original manufacturer's state) and then swap out the HDD for a different one. If the problem goes away, then you know it's the HDD. Another idea is to swing by a local computer repair shop and explain what's occurring - they may have a better idea as to the likely cause.

You can try a diagnostic program but I think a bad boot sector is hard to detect (if it's working, it's working). Someone else may know more about this than I do so maybe this will spark another comment.

Hope this helps.

Check the boot order in the BIOS if it does not show up in the BIOS you should be able to run a storage test on it. Other than that i would make sure it is plugged in properly.

I know i am late but just in case, try this. Go to the BIOS setup, & change the disk controller setting from AHCI to IDE. might worth the try.

If the laptop originally sold with Windows 8/7, and you have upgraded to 10, there's a chance "Fast-Boot" could be your issue. I actually just had a very similar issue, had to google how to disable fast boot (not familiar with windows 10's current menus) but after disabling it my issues disappeared.

However, the laptop I was working with was... considerably older, and didn't have a UEFI, just a BIOS (honestly how do you word that sentence). As far as I gathered, fast boot is a sort of hybrid-hybernation-sleep (disable them all! lol) and my guess is it uses the new power state which older mobos are unfamiliar with.