What type of monitor would you get?

My personal computer is a multi-purpose machine. I surf the web, watch videos, use Microsoft Office, play games...basically a variety of different activities. I would also say I do each activity fairly equally, but if I had to choose I would say I game slightly more than the rest of the activities.

Knowing this, which monitor would you recommend?

1. A TN panel with a higher response time, which would probably be cheaper OR...
    2. An IPS panel with a slower response time, but better color accuracy

I've had dual 27" monitors for the last several years, so I would probably stay at this size or larger. Depending on the prices I could find, I would like to get 2560x1440.

So let me know your thoughts, and if you have a particular monitor to recommend, please mention it.

Thanks for you help.

Re: What type of monitor would you get?

Bump.

also, what do you think about using a TV as a monitor?

I saw a 43", 4K, 120Hz Samsung TV for $600. Input would have to be HDMI. Right now I have have an nVidia 670 GTX. I'm thinking there may be some limitation with the HDMI (like a max of 30Hz refresh), but I'm not certain. Does anyone know?

Any thoughts?

i would get an ultra wide monitor 21:9 ratio.

I've got a Samsung 29" curved monitor and love it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824022219

After owning a High Refresh Rate monitor, there's no going back for me - it's a world of difference. I can't use anything for gaming, unless it's 120hz or higher. I've got a TN panel, but the colors don't bother me so much. I've also got an S-PVA panel as well for photo editing. Best of both worlds.
    But if you game more than anything else, I would look for a high refresh rate monitor.

Are you on team AMD or Nvidia? There are some awesome new ultra wide monitors out, but my recommendation will depend on gsync/freesync considerations.

That being said... here's a thought. Monitors are advancing RAPIDLY at the moment. They don't always, so you may want to hang tight... I think we're probably 1 port generation away from getting a 2560x1440 ultrawide gsync/freesync WITH refresh rates above 100hz - I'm hanging tight until then.

Quote Originally Posted by xRapture View Post
    After owning a High Refresh Rate monitor, there's no going back for me - it's a world of difference. I can't use anything for gaming, unless it's 120hz or higher. I've got a TN panel, but the colors don't bother me so much. I've also got an S-PVA panel as well for photo editing. Best of both worlds.
    But if you game more than anything else, I would look for a high refresh rate monitor.
    144hz changes your life man, even then I am hyped for the 240hz hdr dream.

I have a 27" IPS 1440p, and like it. But I want some variable refresh rates.

While color accuracy is somewhat important to me, TN seems to be getting a lot better with that. In the end, I think I would pay an extra $150 for IPS.

Wow! Thank you for the awesome feedback. I would love to get a high refresh rate IPS monitor with sync technology...BUT, unfortunately, money IS an object. And I'm so spoiled on having two monitors and that means twice the price. At $500+ per monitor, that almost the price of my standard build.

A few weeks ago Woot! had refurbished HP Envy 32 monitors on sale for $320. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. 32", 2560x1440 and I was really fortunate neither had dead pixels. The screens are amazing (speakers are crap, btw). I will probably have to upgrade my GPUs but that's going to take a while ($640 is still quite a bit of scrilla).

Thanks again, and please keep posting with links or pics. This is some great information.

I myself would get IPS for better colors and contrast. since it helps me alot being color blind telling one from another.
    On a TN panel the colors are washes out and it can be hard for me to find the edges of one objeck to another unless it is black and white.

I currently have 2 LG 34um95 and, 2 K272Hul monitors and a LG4k tv the one josh reccomened on a podcast.