Roll Eyes Update and pray, or replace vintage HW

Gents:

Ubuntu 16.04LTS will soon be released, and my (DIY 2nd box) vintage AMD-965 / MSI 790fx-GD70 / NV-650 / 12G.Crucial system still performs flawless after 7 years. I'm no gamr, but do use build-graphics, email, circuit-sim, Stellarium/GEarth , word-processing and HTML coding programs as I activly build a lit-fiction website; constant active use that my newer XEON system just doesn't see. I like the old box and its Dell 24" monitor better.

I already plan a HDD-clone from an old 500G --> Enterprise-class 750G for the vintage AMD-965, but wonder if the upcoming Ubuntu 16.04LTS ought to prod me to **retire** the faithful -965- and buy pieces for a modest AMD-8350/MSI or ASUS mobo + 16G system; I understand there are two (2) chipset options for that CPU ... a 970 & 990fx which pair may well respond to the new Ubuntu with more/less flexibility. Websites don't really talk lots about casual Linux desktop systems.

So again my question-of-prudence: modestly upgrade the vintage AMD-965 system or plump for a newer AMD-8350 rig? Yes, I HAVE considered a new XEON 1270.v3 build, but it's expensive, overkill and hardly "sporting".

Re: Update and pray, or replace vintage HW

Gents:

I picked NEW BUILD. Sourced from Amazon. AMD-8350 / MSI 970 Gaming / Crucial RAM 8x2=16 Gig : Prolly load Ubuntu on new 750G Enterprise HDD

Reuse old tower + PS + pieces. Should be running by April 1 and if I can find a cheap used case so will the legacy parts.

Re: Update and pray, or replace vintage HW

Roughly factor-of-three (x3) speed improvement on Phoronix tests, and system security probes like CLAMAV and TIGER. Improvement well worth the money ... and addition used NV-660 when the pennies appear.