Anti-virus / Anti-malware.

I've been looking for a new safe anti-virus and anti-malware program that I don't have to pay for, I know that paying for one is better but I just don't have the money right now. I am currently running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware FREE version which doesn't do everything I want it to, it no longer gives me real-time protection and doesn't autoscan. I've recently downloaded Avira Free Antivirus and have seen and hear great stuff about it, however, I am wondering if there is anything else out there that is better?

I considered going with Avast but I decided not to.

My top choices were: Avira Free Antivirus and AVG Free Antivirus & Malware. Should I stay with Avira or switch to AVG?
    Last edited by skEmpyre; 01-26-2016 at 12:04 AM.

Re: Anti-virus / Anti-malware.

I haven't used Avira, but I'm sure it's pretty comparable to AVG in terms of protection. I would focus on the annoying pop-ups and requests to upgrade to the paid version.

For me, AVG has been pretty straight forward and I get occasional requests but nothing excessive - I decline and move on. But when I install it on my family members' computers, they inevitably agree to the free 30-day trial of the paid version and one month later get daily reminders they need to pay to continue coverage. Good news: AVG makes it pretty easy to revert back to the free version; bad news: God bless them, but family continues accepting the trial version and I'm back one month later switching it back again. Lather. Rinse. Repeat

But I digress. You can also try MSE - it's free and doesn't beg you to purchase a paid version. And really, your surfing habits are your best protection against viruses and malware. So just be smart, use any of the free AVs mentioned, along with malwarebytes and you should be fine.

Hope this helps.

Try out Panda anti-virus or Emsisoft. They are free and I use Panda myself. You are right Malwarebytes does not always cover all the aspects. So far the one I am using has been doing the job overall.

if anybody is has having problems updating Malwarebytes, and get "Unable to access update Server"
    simple cure is to boot into safe mode with networking, then try again.
    Works for me.
    Last edited by Roman52; 10-21-2016 at 05:37 PM.

the new adwcleaner by Malwarebytes, is very quick to find items.

I use Malwarebytes - to get rid of malware. I probably run it once a month or whenever I think my internet isn't working 100%.

For viruses I did use Avast but got sick of the ads. So I recently changed to BitDefender (free) and now have a quieter life.

East Stroudsburg, PA (The Pocono Mountains)

Hands down Malwarebytes. I run it, and MSE, that's it. Two PC's and usually costs me around $30/yr because it goes on sale so often. It even saved me from a Bitcoin miner back in 2013, that's when I started paying for it. For regular viruses, MSE is actually just fine.
    i7 5820k 4.2Ghz | 32GB DDR4 2400 XMP | MSI X99A SLI Plus | MSI GTX 980 | Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB | 256GB Sanforce SSD | Toshiba 3TB HDD | Rosewill Stryker M | Corsair H55 | Noctua 120mm x2 | LG 25" Ultrawide IPS 60hz