Can someone explain steam cards?

So I was playing with steam and I played with putting all my "Cards" that I dont give a about for sale, and then other people bought them, for actual money, that I now have in my steam wallet.

Can someone explain what the is going on here? Why would anyone want the things I got for just OPENING A GAME FOR THE FIRST TIME! Anyone?

I feel more and more like I have no understanding of the culture of the young new adults......... That's right, I am my dad now.

Re: Can someone explain steam cards?

Theres not much to explain other than what you have figured out for yourself. No magic, no secrets. Why does anything become a trend? Why can I spend $300 to buy a knife skin in CSGO? Just to look cool and have something to preoccupy yourself with I guess.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Re: Can someone explain steam cards?

300$ skin I........ kinda sorta understand, not something I would spend on but atleast I understand someone who realy wants said skin with 300 extra bucks would do a stupid thing, HOWEVER someone payed $.06 for some "Card" I got on steam for playing as the stegosaurus or whatever in dino-d-day that one time at a FFvlan and I received $.03cdn in my steam wallet. What value do they have, what is the function. I see the whole "Gems" thing but what the are gems for? I just dont understand how or why these cards have monetary value

Title

E-pen

That and packrats like me like collecting valueless things that are shiny or have pretty pictures

Gems are pretty much a currency specifically developed to get more cards. They buy booster packs
    Last edited by RatzKlaw; 02-22-2016 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Do you really want to know?