Thread: MSI MBs

MSI MBs

I am interested in MSI MBs. I have been trying to understand MSI website. MSI does NOT detail the release dates and few other information. Not only that, their website have some wrong information, along with flawed web design. I create a ticket and communicate back and forth someone from MSI site, then they close it with "Thank you for choosing MSI" without even answering my questions.

Newegg.com also has some wrong details (and mostly because they grab the data from MSI and post it, without verifying anything, I can understand that).

I like to know what MSI MBs were released... I got the impression that their "M3" MB was released in 2014, but Skylake was released in August 2015? Those are LGA 1151. Maybe there was "M3" for other chipsets, I didn't followup with computers for years, and just now I like to do a new build. I want to know that I am not buying a "old" MB when I could buy a newer/updated model, you know.

Also, to play it safe, I want to only opt that have DX12. When I look at MSI MB page (1151, Z170), I notice quite a few have DX11, unless it's misprint?

I want onboard DVI port (I can't afford $400 graphic card at this time). So, I will be using one 23" HD monitor, until I get a card, then hopefully use two 23" HD monitors.

I sortof took interest in MSI KRAIT MBs, but for some reason, are they a lower grade or missing features/slots? What are KRAIT for?

According to newegg.com, when I narrow down to MSI MBs WITH onboard graphics only, SOME state "Supported only by CPU with integrated graphic" and SOME others of the same onboard graphics does NOT state that quote. correct me... would ALL MBs with onboard graphic would "Supported only by CPU with integrated graphic" (whether it is printed or not)? they ALL will need CPU (function the same) and use RAM (limited memory), correct?

OT: when using onboard graphic, the CPU would be hotter due usage (oblivious?)?

OT: I am noticing "M.2" are popping up, I don't know what that is? I am planning to use SSD (and HDD).

I am planning to use this build for video editing (so I would need i7-6700K) and web coding (SQL Server and Visual Studio). If there's something you like to add, feel free so. Thank you.

ADDED: are these MBs now require 24+8pin PSU? I looked at newegg.com and under 10 PSU have those? Whats up with that?

ADDED: OT: what is different between Z170 and Z170 Express?

Chuck
    Last edited by CNT; 03-10-2016 at 02:53 PM.

Re: MSI MBs

Quote Originally Posted by CNT View Post
    I am interested in MSI MBs. I have been trying to understand MSI website. MSI does NOT detail the release dates and few other information. Not only that, their website have some wrong information, along with flawed web design. I create a ticket and communicate back and forth someone from MSI site, then they close it with "Thank you for choosing MSI" without even answering my questions.

Newegg.com also has some wrong details (and mostly because they grab the data from MSI and post it, without verifying anything, I can understand that).

I like to know what MSI MBs were released... I got the impression that their "M3" MB was released in 2014, but Skylake was released in August 2015? Those are LGA 1151. Maybe there was "M3" for other chipsets, I didn't followup with computers for years, and just now I like to do a new build. I want to know that I am not buying a "old" MB when I could buy a newer/updated model, you know.
    Also, to play it safe, I want to only opt that have DX12. When I look at MSI MB page (1151, Z170), I notice quite a few have DX11, unless it's misprint?
    you need win 10 to get DX12

I sort of took interest in MSI KRAIT MBs, but for some reason, are they a lower grade or missing features/slots? What are KRAIT for?
    The krait stuff is the "gaming" branding. Looks to be mostly cosmetic

According to newegg.com, when I narrow down to MSI MBs WITH onboard graphics only, SOME state "Supported only by CPU with integrated graphic" and SOME others of the same onboard graphics does NOT state that quote. correct me... would ALL MBs with onboard graphic would "Supported only by CPU with integrated graphic" (whether it is printed or not)? they ALL will need CPU (function the same) and use RAM (limited memory), correct?
    yes, correct

OT: when using onboard graphic, the CPU would be hotter due usage (oblivious?)?
    not necessarily

OT: I am noticing "M.2" are popping up, I don't know what that is? I am planning to use SSD (and HDD).
    M.2 is the "new faster" ssd standard

ADDED: are these MBs now require 24+8pin PSU? I looked at newegg.com and under 10 PSU have those? Whats up with that?
    not really, it's just the marketing fluff calls that out

ADDED: OT: what is different between Z170 and Z170 Express?
    Z170 has the normal sata connectors (that are available with the Z170 chipset) the Z170 express has the sata "express" connectors that are basically 3x sata ports iirc

For a build I'd go SSD for boot device, M.2 for "scratch disc" (Or vice versa) and spinning rust for long term storage. If you aren't going to overclock, you don't need the "k" series processor or the Z170 board either (unless you need/want some of the other features)

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin
    The krait stuff is the "gaming" branding. Looks to be mostly cosmetic
    I see...

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin
    If you aren't going to overclock, you don't need the "k" series processor or the Z170 board either (unless you need/want some of the other features)
    So, a MSI H110M ECO would do fine in gaming?

Reason to get 6700K is because it's 4.0GHz stock speed.

I see...

So, a MSI H110M ECO would do fine in gaming?

Reason to get 6700K is because it's 4.0GHz stock speed.
    What games specifically ? Most of the AAA titles require a semi-decent GPU depending on resolution.

The 3.4 to 4.0 Ghz difference in speed between the 6700 and 6700k might be 5% or so

If I wasn't planning on overclocking, I would buy a 6700 (non k) and a H170 series board with the features I wanted.

Save some cash, don't buy OC capable parts if you never intend to OC