Getting rid of extra partitions created during clean install of windows 10 pro...

When doing a clean install of windows 10 is there a way using diskpart to eliminate the 2 partitions that are created, one is 450mb of healthy recovery partition, 100mb of healthy efi system partition.
    Its seems they are not a problem but are they needed? I know when installing clean win7 you could eliminate the 100mb partition that was created during the setup by using f10 and diskpart, but it won’t work with win10.
    Should I just leave it alone and not worry about it, and if so are they there for a reason, and what is that reason? Im just saying I have never needed that before in win 7 and if its just taking up space for no reason, why have it?
    I do have uefi bios. Thanks in advance for any input.

Wink Re: Getting rid of extra partitions created during clean install of windows 10 pro...

So after doing several clean installs of windows 10, I am now getting one extra partition of system reserved of 500mb of ntfs, after doing some research I see that this is needed if you want to use bitlocker, so I get it probably should just leave it alone, but when I do a clone using intel’s data migration software, it reduces this partition to 313mb system reserved without the second partition of 100mb of healthy efi partition system < (as stated in my first post), but during the cloning process it gives 2 options,” copy partitions without changes the partition style will not be changed” the other says “ copy the partitions and use disk as non-system gpt style, destination disk will not be bootable”, so naturally I want it to be bootable so I select the first option, but why would it reduce the 500mb partition to 313mb? < also I have never experienced this using IDMS.

I have done several clean installs getting only the 500mb partition. < so I am assuming that this is the correct way that it should be installed. < on my first post I stated that there were 2 extra partitions, now that is reduced to one 500mb partition, don’t know why the first one had 2 partitions, but that was the first time I did a clean install.

I just want to get it installed correctly and make a clone of the disk so I don’t have to keep re-installing the OS.

I have 4 computers that need to be updated to win10 so I want to make sure that I am doing it correct on the first one before proceeding to the others.

Thank You.
    Last edited by Stugg; 12-04-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Re: Getting rid of extra partitions created during clean install of windows 10 pro...

I could have sworn I whacked all the extra partitions on windows 7 through 10 during install. I don't need the bitlocker service, nor do I resort to system restores when my PC bites it. So have been doing the following install methods to create 1 completely contiguous partition during installs and I think I even did this on a 10 reinstall recently. I only use the computers for online gaming and streaming.
    When windows creates the partition for you and before leaving the partitioning screen, select the data partition, and delete it or any other partitions you find except the one called resource. Then select resource partition and then click on extend and let it consume all the free space and you should be only left with 1 partition of which you can delete the name once windows is installed. I will verify my partition status on my personal PC and if I see anything different, I will update.

Re: Getting rid of extra partitions created during clean install of windows 10 pro...

This is how to do this:

At the setup screen where it shows the partition's.

Drive 0 unallocated space, highlight, press new then apply, this creates drive 0 partition 2 < highlight then delete it, then says drive 0 unallocated space, hit system reserved, extend, apply, your are left with drive 0 partition 1 system reserved, hit format, OK, left with drive 0 partition 1, then proceed to install windows 10.

This will install windows without the 500mb of system reserved partition.

if you create 4 primary partitions in the mbr and you can get a win10 cd to boot in legacy mode (takes a few tries sometimes even if you tell it legacy optical) then you can tell it to install win10 on partition 1 and since it cant create anymore and doesnt know what the other 3 are, it will install everything on 1 partition... then you can wipe out or change the other 3 as long as you dont change the drive sig or change it back (another problem i dont have time for now lol) theres other steps for legacy mode and this doesnt use secure boot... so its not for everyone.. but i like to have a partition that images #1 on my systems.. and this is how i do it until i find a 2mb os that runs under secure boot

Quote Originally Posted by Stugg View Post
    This is how to do this:

At the setup screen where it shows the partition's.

Drive 0 unallocated space, highlight, press new then apply, this creates drive 0 partition 2 < highlight then delete it, then says drive 0 unallocated space, hit system reserved, extend, apply, your are left with drive 0 partition 1 system reserved, hit format, OK, left with drive 0 partition 1, then proceed to install windows 10.

This will install windows without the 500mb of system reserved partition.
    This no longer works with the newer versions of windows 10 < I believe I posted this when running 1607?