Help me choose a display?

Hello!

I have been trying to do a ton of research, but have not been able to come to a conclusion as to which is more important. My system is as follows:

• CPU: Intel i5-2500k OC to 4GHz
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
    • Memory: 2x4GB DDR3 1600
    • Video: MSI Geforce GTX 970 4G
    • Current Display: LG L227WTG 22"

I really would like to spend less than $250, but will be willing to entertain slightly more if the difference is that important. I upgraded my video to the GTX 970, and am looking to purchase a display that will be good for gaming. The main game I'm looking forward to playing right now is the Division. I will also be making my old display a 2nd display.

I keep running into questions and debating the importance of such things, such as:

1. Should I go 24" or 27"?
    2. With my system, will TN be fine? I don't think I can afford IPS.
    3. Will 60Hz be fine, or should I look at 144Hz?
    4. Is 1080p alright, or should I look for a higher resolution?
    5. Is nVidia G-Sync a must have? Or will I be alright without?

I know certain options are going to drastically increase the price of the displays. Unfortunately this is why I'm apprehensive in making a decision.

Can you help?
    ===================================================
    Case: Coolermaster 590 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Processor: Intel C2D E8400 | HSF: Xigmatek S1283 | Memory: 2x2GB GSkill DDR2-1000 | Video: EVGA GTX 260 216cores | Power: PC P&C 610W

Re: Help me choose a display?

For the budget of 250, you will be hard pressed to find anything in the 27 inch category.

Maybe some of the 27 inch korean IPS 2560x1440 panels.

Anything at 350? I've been seeing a lot of people say once they went 27 it was the best decision they made, which is why I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it or should I get a decent 24.
    Case: Coolermaster 590 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R | Processor: Intel C2D E8400 | HSF: Xigmatek S1283 | Memory: 2x2GB GSkill DDR2-1000 | Video: EVGA GTX 260 216cores | Power: PC P&C 610W

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    For the budget of 250, you will be hard pressed to find anything in the 27 inch category.

Maybe some of the 27 inch korean IPS 2560x1440 panels.
    Also, what are the more important features that I should be focusing on? The cheapest nVidia G-Sync display I can find on newegg is $400... has this become a necessary thing, or can that go by the wayside?

After that, I imagine the Hz would be the next important thing... does it have to be 144? Or will lower be alright? Once I'm able to start narrowing down these things I can better figure out if I should still look at a lower 27" or a higher 24".

Quote Originally Posted by Punkrulz View Post
    Also, what are the more important features that I should be focusing on? The cheapest nVidia G-Sync display I can find on newegg is $400... has this become a necessary thing, or can that go by the wayside?
    Not necessary, but nice to have.

After that, I imagine the Hz would be the next important thing... does it have to be 144? Or will lower be alright? Once I'm able to start narrowing down these things I can better figure out if I should still look at a lower 27" or a higher 24".
    I'm personally running a korean 1440p 60hz panel. I haven't tried to OC it yet, but it is theoretically possible, I just don't see the need. I just run Vsync off in most titles I play.

In the more demanding games I just turn down the details until I get a "playable" framerate.

As far as a variable refresh rate monitor (G-sync/Free-sync) Sone of the others in the fragging frogs have them and enjoy them.

Have you seen any VRR panels in real life ? Once you do, you would be able to make a better decision.

IMO going to 1440p from 1080p is a bigger jump than just having a 1080p VRR panel.

I really would like to spend less than $250, but will be willing to entertain slightly more if the difference is that important. I upgraded my video to the GTX 970, and am looking to purchase a display that will be good for gaming. The main game I'm looking forward to playing right now is the Division. I will also be making my old display a 2nd display.
    I think you're asking the right questions, but not all of them are black and white... as you're probably finding out. A lot of this comes down to personal preference and what you personally want, but I've made my decisions and I'll give you my recommendations for each question
    Should I go 24" or 27"?
    If you're going to stick with 1080P, 24". Anything bigger will look pretty crappy. At 1440P there are 24" and 27" options, but 27" is my choice. The extra size is nice and the pixel pitch at 100% scaling is good enough that text isn't so small that it requires scaling.
    With my system, will TN be fine? I don't think I can afford IPS.
    IPS panels have gotten so much cheaper that I don't see a reason to look at TN anymore unless you are specifically looking at 120-144hz monitors which are still pretty much all TN. Good TN panels exist, but a low end IPS will look better than anything other than a really nice TN panel.
    Will 60Hz be fine, or should I look at 144Hz?
    60Hz is fine for me. Some people really like the high refresh rate and will swear that it makes games a lot better. I've used panels with 120Hz refresh rates and prefer more resolution than higher refresh rates, hands down.
    Is 1080p alright, or should I look for a higher resolution?
    At your budget you can probably find 1440P, and thats my recommendation
    Is nVidia G-Sync a must have? Or will I be alright without?
    G-sync or AMD's FreeSync (aka Variable Refresh Rate/VRR) are nice to haves IMO. They add a lot to the cost and lock you into NV or AMD in the future (as they are not currently cross compatible). I've never actually used a VRR monitor, so I could be wrong on this one, but its not something I'm willing to pay a big premium for.

mmettin mentioned the Korean 1440P IPS panels in one of his replies. I would strongly consider this option. The QNix QX2710 uses a Samsung PLS (their IPS-like tech) panel and is a great monitor. You can get one for $250 pretty easily. You can find them on Newegg, but they're pretty much all sold by third parties. I bought mine on ebay from a seller called green-sum. You should be warned that there are a bunch of different versions - matte, glossy, multi-input, DVI-only, etc and its easy to get a bit confused. Glossy vs matte is personal preference, I recommend skipping multi-input. Generally these are sold from Korea and have virtually zero warranty. If that worries you there are 3rd party warranty options like squaretrade available. The housings and stands are very cheap and kinda wobbly, but many of them have VESA mounting so you can spend $20-40 on a half decent stand from someplace like Monoprice if you so desire. Many of them only have input support for Dual-Link DVI, which shouldn't be a problem for your 970, but you'd only be able to hook up one of them. These things have gotten very popular over the years for good reason... its tough to find panels that look this good for this price anywhere else. Theres also a lot of info about them all over the web if you need more info.

If any of that deters you, you might consider bumping your budget up to ~300 for the Asus and Acer 1440P models in that price range. If you're still on the fence, I would agree with mmettin and recommend that you try and see some potential options in person to at least get an idea of what VRR, IPS vs TN or, 60hz< monitors do for you.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

for a friend of mine that has always used large tv's as his monitors. I gifted him a korean branded QNIX 27 inch monitor 2560x1440 PLS (samsungs IPS tech) that starts at 60hz and he got his over clock on it to over 100. He like it even more because ti had a glossy panel instead of a matte a good thing for him since there are no light in his room he plays games in. I got it for him from Newegg
    for around 289.99 at the time and that was for pixel perfect. I think now they are right around the 259.99 mark and will 3 day ship from korean to you. It is working great for him to this day day they have different model with different inputs so there is a recoomendation for a good monitor in your price range offering alot of what you are looking for.

og o-d-o-g told me to get a qnix 1440p 27" display...... I got it on sale from ebay I believe for $200 shipped. No joke from Korea it arrived in 3 days I believe and I couldn't be happier.

I was using a 24" Dell 1080p and not only are the colors/resolution just amazing compared to what I had I don't think I could ever go back to 1080p

I have yet to attempt to OC mine due to other issues that have happened with my system lately, but I plan to do so and hopefully can boost it past 96hz.