Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Joined
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Age
    36
    Posts
    73

    Question Windows based NAS

    So I'm in the market to replace my aging HP EX490 which had been upgraded with 4GB of RAM, an E8600 and WHS 2011. The server is mostly used to host a TON of movies, music and photos. In addition to being a general SMB share, it's also running Subsonic for audio streaming and an SFTP server for remote file access. It has 4 WD RED drives with Stablebit DrivePool making them 1 big volume.

    I was looking into the Thecus W5810 but can't find any place to actually buy the darn thing. Do you guys have any other recommendations. Ideally I'd like something that is relatively small, quiet and doesn't eat up a ton of power.
    Desktop (rarely used)
    ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z/GEN3 / i5-2500K (@stock) / 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 RAM / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970
    120GB Intel 520 SSD / 1TB WD Black HDD / 640GB WD HDD
    Win 10 Pro 64bit

    Laptop (main machine)
    Gigabyte P34G / i7-4700HQ / 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM / Intel HD 4600 + nVidia Geforce GTX 760M
    120GB LiteOn mSATA SSD / 1TB Crucial BX100 SSD
    Win 10 Pro 64bit

    Server
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK/ i5-3570K (@stock) / 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM /
    120GB Sandisk SSD (OS)/ 2TB WD RED HDD / 3TB WD RED HDD x2 / 8TB WD RED HDD
    Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard + StableBit Drivepool

  2. #2
    Joined
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Janesville, Wi
    Posts
    6,396

    Re: Windows based NAS

    Quote Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
    So I'm in the market to replace my aging HP EX490 which had been upgraded with 4GB of RAM, an E8600 and WHS 2011. The server is mostly used to host a TON of movies, music and photos. In addition to being a general SMB share, it's also running Subsonic for audio streaming and an SFTP server for remote file access. It has 4 WD RED drives with Stablebit DrivePool making them 1 big volume.

    I was looking into the Thecus W5810 but can't find any place to actually buy the darn thing. Do you guys have any other recommendations. Ideally I'd like something that is relatively small, quiet and doesn't eat up a ton of power.
    Found the thecus, but it isn't exactly thrifty

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U15PSEC/?tag=pcper04-20

    As far as other suggestions, I'll let others chime in


  3. #3
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,092

    Re: Windows based NAS

    Can I just ask what the goal is in terms of an upgrade? I'm currently running WHS2011 w/ drivepool and SnapRAID and it generally handles everything I need it to do, so are you looking because the hardware performance doesn't meet your needs? If so, what are you trying to run? Do you need it to be a self-contained unit or are you willing to consider building your own?


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  4. #4
    Joined
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Age
    36
    Posts
    73

    Re: Windows based NAS

    Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    Found the thecus, but it isn't exactly thrifty

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U15PSEC/?tag=pcper04-20

    As far as other suggestions, I'll let others chime in
    Thanks for the link but it's for the N5810 which is identical in size and specs but doesn't come with that handy Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 license.
    Desktop (rarely used)
    ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z/GEN3 / i5-2500K (@stock) / 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 RAM / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970
    120GB Intel 520 SSD / 1TB WD Black HDD / 640GB WD HDD
    Win 10 Pro 64bit

    Laptop (main machine)
    Gigabyte P34G / i7-4700HQ / 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM / Intel HD 4600 + nVidia Geforce GTX 760M
    120GB LiteOn mSATA SSD / 1TB Crucial BX100 SSD
    Win 10 Pro 64bit

    Server
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK/ i5-3570K (@stock) / 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM /
    120GB Sandisk SSD (OS)/ 2TB WD RED HDD / 3TB WD RED HDD x2 / 8TB WD RED HDD
    Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard + StableBit Drivepool

  5. #5
    Joined
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Age
    36
    Posts
    73

    Re: Windows based NAS

    Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Can I just ask what the goal is in terms of an upgrade? I'm currently running WHS2011 w/ drivepool and SnapRAID and it generally handles everything I need it to do, so are you looking because the hardware performance doesn't meet your needs? If so, what are you trying to run? Do you need it to be a self-contained unit or are you willing to consider building your own?
    I'm looking to upgrade for 2 reasons.

    1) I want to enable video transcoding in either Plex or Subsonic for mobile devices and the load would be too much for what I already have.
    2) I want to add at least one more drive and I'm maxed out already on the 4 bays (it also sucks that the drive in bay 1 is the OS drive).

    I'm not against building my own but usually self built is physically larger and more power hungry. Also my cable routing skills aren't exactly great so something like a mini or micro atx build by me would be super messy and have bad airflow.
    Desktop (rarely used)
    ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z/GEN3 / i5-2500K (@stock) / 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 RAM / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970
    120GB Intel 520 SSD / 1TB WD Black HDD / 640GB WD HDD
    Win 10 Pro 64bit

    Laptop (main machine)
    Gigabyte P34G / i7-4700HQ / 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM / Intel HD 4600 + nVidia Geforce GTX 760M
    120GB LiteOn mSATA SSD / 1TB Crucial BX100 SSD
    Win 10 Pro 64bit

    Server
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK/ i5-3570K (@stock) / 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM /
    120GB Sandisk SSD (OS)/ 2TB WD RED HDD / 3TB WD RED HDD x2 / 8TB WD RED HDD
    Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard + StableBit Drivepool

  6. #6
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,092

    Re: Windows based NAS

    Quote Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
    I'm looking to upgrade for 2 reasons.

    1) I want to enable video transcoding in either Plex or Subsonic for mobile devices and the load would be too much for what I already have.
    2) I want to add at least one more drive and I'm maxed out already on the 4 bays (it also sucks that the drive in bay 1 is the OS drive).

    I'm not against building my own but usually self built is physically larger and more power hungry. Also my cable routing skills aren't exactly great so something like a mini or micro atx build by me would be super messy and have bad airflow.
    I agree that generally homebuilt = bigger, but there are options and power can still be low. This case for example offers 8 bay hot swap capability and is relatively compact. An inexpensive mini ITX board + inexpensive intel CPU and you've got a pretty powerful system in a compact form factor. I'd also be willing to bet that any COTS 8-bay solution (QNAP, Synology etc) would be far more expensive for equivalent performance. You already have the WHS2011 license as well.

    For reference, here is my WHS2011 build:
    Home Server
    Total Storage HDD space: 27TB
    CPU// Intel Celeron G1820 (haswell)
    Mobo // Gigabyte GA-B85M-D2V
    RAM // 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600
    PSU // Corsair TX950
    OS HDD // 1x Seagate 320GB 2.5" 7200RPM
    Storage HDD // 3x Hitachi 5k3000 2TB SATA Drives
    Storage HDD // 7x WD Red 3TB
    Parity HDD // 2x Toshiba x300 4TB
    SAS controller LSI 9211-8i
    Case // Zalman MS800 w/ 12x Hotswap bays
    OS // Windows Home Server 2011 w/ DrivePool + SnapRAID

    I don't have power figures, but intel CPU's idle pretty low. This is just a cheap mATX board with a cheap celeron and it handles Plex streams flawlessly. The CPU power needed is going to depend heavily on how many concurrent streams you need. The case is pretty darn huge, but if I could have done something smaller with fewer drives very easily.

    I'm not specifically trying to drive you away from a pre-built unit if it makes sense for you, but there are lots of resources and options out there for building your own if you're willing to consider.


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  7. #7
    Joined
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Age
    36
    Posts
    73

    Re: Windows based NAS

    Thanks for the reply. I'm now actually thinking of building my own. I'm open to suggestions from the community but as of this moment I'm thinking of this Lian Li case and this Gigabyte motherboard.
    Desktop (rarely used)
    ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z/GEN3 / i5-2500K (@stock) / 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 RAM / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970
    120GB Intel 520 SSD / 1TB WD Black HDD / 640GB WD HDD
    Win 10 Pro 64bit

    Laptop (main machine)
    Gigabyte P34G / i7-4700HQ / 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM / Intel HD 4600 + nVidia Geforce GTX 760M
    120GB LiteOn mSATA SSD / 1TB Crucial BX100 SSD
    Win 10 Pro 64bit

    Server
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK/ i5-3570K (@stock) / 16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM /
    120GB Sandisk SSD (OS)/ 2TB WD RED HDD / 3TB WD RED HDD x2 / 8TB WD RED HDD
    Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard + StableBit Drivepool

  8. #8
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,092

    Re: Windows based NAS

    Quote Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'm now actually thinking of building my own. I'm open to suggestions from the community but as of this moment I'm thinking of this Lian Li case and this Gigabyte motherboard.
    Both the motherboard and the case look nice, and the ability to use a full size ATX PSU in that case is a plus vs the SFX only silverstone I linked earlier. I would just consider how much expandability you'd like to have in the future. Is 5 bays enough? The motherboard may only have 6 ports, but you can always add additional ports via a PCIe adapter. Just a thought.

    Otherwise, 8GB of ram (all that WHS2011 supports) + the cheapest skt1151 CPU (pentium G4400?) are probably all you need. If you foresee Plex streaming/transcoding on several devices at the same time you might consider bumping CPU spec up to the i3 for the hyperthreading and stuff or an i5 for the extra cores, but either way I'd just stick to the lowest end of those respective product lines.


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •