RAMDisk vs M.2 vs SSD

Since I haven't tried any of those, so I am posting questions. Correct anything in here and thank you.

SSD: those do make real world differences from HDD.

M.2: I tried reading information about this and it's overwhelming. It takes a PCI bus and make SSD faster? It also effects PCI, such graphic card(s)? Is this software and hardware? Are those buildin/onboard/integrated in MB?

RAMDisk: the benchmarks scores very high with this. This works all in RAM (virtual drive). This is software. This increase SSD lifespan.

Do all those work with boot (in BIOS)? Would 16GB (2x8GB in Dual Channel) be ideal amount? The prices of having 32GB (2x16GB) is twice money. Is any of those worth doing? Since I am planning to use onboard GPU (until I can afford a $500 card), would all this be OK? Is ideal setup to have regular SSD as C: and M.2 (SDD) as D: ? Today's standard is to have all SSD for everything and HDD just for storage (I still have WD My Cloud for backups). Use regular SATA cables? Any consideration, such PSU or water cooling, etc?

I am in process of selecting a build (still looking at i7-6700K) and plan to do video editing.

Re: RAMDisk vs M.2 vs SSD

Quote Originally Posted by CNT View Post
    SSD: those do make real world differences from HDD.
    yes, I can't go back to spinning rust. I (out of my own pocket) bought a SSD for my work machine.

M.2: I tried reading information about this and it's overwhelming. It takes a PCI bus and make SSD faster? It also effects PCI, such graphic card(s)? Is this software and hardware? Are those buildin/onboard/integrated in MB?
    Specifically PCIE, you want the 4 lane versions (in both the drive as well as the slot on the board) The processor you pick has a number of fixed lanes available, they get divided between all of the slots on the board as well as USB, etc.

RAMDisk: the benchmarks scores very high with this. This works all in RAM (virtual drive). This is software. This increase SSD lifespan.
    Yes it will, sort of. It might(should) keep the file swapping from happening as much.

Do all those work with boot (in BIOS)?
    Ramdisk will not, the others will.
    Would 16GB (2x8GB in Dual Channel) be ideal amount?
    as far as I'm concerned, it's the new minimum.
    The prices of having 32GB (2x16GB) is twice money. Is any of those worth doing?
    depends on the planned usage.
    Since I am planning to use onboard GPU (until I can afford a $500 card), would all this be OK? Is ideal setup to have regular SSD as C: and M.2 (SDD) as D: ? Today's standard is to have all SSD for everything and HDD just for storage (I still have WD My Cloud for backups).
    yes.
    Use regular SATA cables?
    yes
    Any consideration, such PSU or water cooling, etc?
    Not really for the PSU, just get a quality units that meets or exceeds your planned build. Closed loop coolers or a true water build are totally different things. A closed loop cooler performs similarly to a high quality air cooler, only has the possibility of being quieter.

I am in process of selecting a build (still looking at i7-6700K) and plan to do video editing.
    Ok

I wouldn't bother with ramdisks, probably more hassle than its worth.

M.2 is just a phsycial SSD standard. Traditional 2.5" SSD's run on the normal SATA subsystem/wires/ports etc and are limited to SATA speeds. M.2 is a hardware specification dictating the physical shape and a slot that can use SATA, PCIE, or both for signalling. M.2 SSD's come in SATA and PCIE flavors. If the connector is wired for both, the type of SSD installed will determine which protocol is used. There are not that many PCIE m.2 drives, but they are significantly faster than SATA based systems due to the much higher bandwidth available over PCIE. If you use a PCIE drive, it will impact the PCIE lane allocation from the CPU. This may mean that certain slots become disabled or other slots run with fewer lanes to free up those PCIE lanes for the drive. Exactly what happens depends on the specific motherboard, but for most users it won't really matter.

PCIE SSD's are generally significantly more expensive than normal SSD's. The gains can be significant in certain applications, but actual desktop/daily usage is unlikely to be improved noticeably. I'd recommend just getting a normal, non m.2 SSD, a spinning HDD for additional storage, and call it a day
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 03-18-2016 at 10:57 AM.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

SSD

Looks like Samsung 850 EVO is the best for 2016? It uses it's own Samsung controller.

nothing good about Intel or OCZ? what happen to Corsair?

I think you've got options, but IMO Samsung is good enough to be considered the default. Don't even know if you can buy OCZ drives anymore, but I wouldn't touch them with a 10ft pole. Intel isn't making anything of note other than their expensive server grade SSD's. Lots of these drives are basically all the same at the end of the day, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big brands (Samsung, Crucial, San Disk). Just poke around for reviews before you buy anything. My recommendation is the 850 EVO

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Word of advice I give my customers is please register your drive with the manufacturer. Although life expectancy is going up, you just don't know if it will make it through the warranty. Even if my customers don't register the drive, I will register it for them. Warranties have been nice when they do kick in.

Click here to visit Onetech's website
    Popup blocker advised!

"Cutting edge technology is for those who like to bleed." Onetech