Question Corsair H100iGTX Liquid Cooler Question

Hello,

Just recently put together an Intel Skylake 6700K PC with the Corsair H100iGTX Radiator/Cooler. I have successfully overclocked it to 4.6 without any problems. However one thing I noticed is the fans are really loud as usage increases. While playing Star Wars Battlefront the fan RPM's went to 1900RPM. It sounded like it was going to fly away. The Temps are around 57 to 60 C and the pump is set to performance.

The cooler is mounted to the top of my case inside with the fans pushing air up and out. Normal usage fan RPM's are around 700 or so.. Play a game and wham is gets pretty noisy and it's just the fans not pump noise.

Any tips on how to quiet this thing? This is the first liquid cooled anything I have purchased, have always used heatsinks and fans until this point. I am looking to replace the fans with a set of Fractal Design Venturi High Pressure Series, hoping for some better operation.

Any info or guidance would be appreciated or is this the type of sound I should expect from this cooler???

Thanks..

Re: Corsair H100iGTX Liquid Cooler Question

Your load temps seem ok, which means I'm going to assume everything is working correctly, so theres only a few ways around this - quieter fans, customized fan profiles, or more cooling. You may be able to find quieter fans, but part of the noise is going to be wind noise through the rad, and that isn't really going to go away. I like Noctua or EK Vardar fans, they're both pretty good, but good fans aren't cheap... easily $15-30 each for quality pwm fans. maybe less if pwm isn't necessary, but I don't know how the H100i GTX does fan control.

Alternatively, you could set custom fan profiles. I believe the H100i GTX has fan headers on the block that can be controlled via the corsair link software (correct if I'm wrong). I've never used this software personally but I believe it allows you to set a custom fan control curve that will change the speeds for the fans. If you're willing to tolerate higher CPU temperatures, you can flatten the RPM vs T curve a bit so that the fans don't ramp up quite so high unless the temperature gets really hot. You may need to play with this a bit to find a setting that balances keeping the fans at a tolerable noise threshold while keeping your CPU at a reasonable temp. Of course, the best part of this is that its free, so it might be worth testing before you move on to buying anything.

After that, you're kinda looking at getting more cooling capacity so you can run more/bigger slower fans (bigger radiators, custom WC, etc)

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

IIRC, doesn't corsair recommend drawing (outside the case) cooler air into the case thru the radiator ?

I'd try that as well as O-dogs recommendations before I spent any money on different fans

Also worth noting that these chips have a Tj max of 105C, so as long as its stable, you have a little room to play with as far as letting the CPU get a bit hot if the noise is too much. 70-80C under load wouldn't be an unreasonable range.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present