Re-purpose S5500BC to gaming machine

Hi all.
    I have a few S5500BC boards whole with memory (8x 4 GB 1333 MHz ECC) and 2x E5620 Xeons.
    I think of building a personal gaming machine with this platform as a base, and have run into a headscratcher.

1) Is it possibly to get a modern GPU (R9 290X) work on this platform?
    2) What will be the impact on the visual quality of modern AAA titles (Witcher 3, Fallout 4), due to me using a x8 Gen2 slot?
    3) How are - if at all - modern games utilize dual CPU configurations? Should I take one Xeon out, for stability? Or maybe just to keep my electricity bill down, for no virtual gain?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Re-purpose S5500BC to gaming machine

Welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by WounDead85 View Post

1) Is it possibly to get a modern GPU (R9 290X) work on this platform?
    Yes

2) What will be the impact on the visual quality of modern AAA titles (Witcher 3, Fallout 4), due to me using a x8 Gen2 slot?
    Minimal if any. I think you would be more CPU limited than anything.
    3) How are - if at all - modern games utilize dual CPU configurations? Should I take one Xeon out, for stability? Or maybe just to keep my electricity bill down, for no virtual gain?
    Not sure how to answer, except to say to try it and see what happens.

Re: Re-purpose S5500BC to gaming machine

I think it depends on what you're after. I don't think modern games would have any issues using the dual CPU's, but you might find that scaling isn't going to be brilliant since few games are going to scale anything close to linearly with core count. The problem you'll find with these kinds of server chips is that the clock speed is simply too low compared to their consumer 1P counterparts. Compare your E5620 @ 2.4ghz vs a i7-950 or 970 @ 3.3-3.5ghz, and you're giving up a lot of ground on clock speed alone. Considering that games will likely scale much better with clock speed once you get to 4 threads, you will probably be pretty underwhelmed with the performance.

All thats not to say that you can't game on those chips, you just need to be realistic in your expectations... you'll probably wind up with something slower than an old X58 machine in real world performance. If thats all you need and you've got the parts on hand, why not? But I wouldn't spend money on it vs buying somebody's used Sandy Bridge or newer parts that would end up being quite a bit faster.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present