Oculus Rift and HTC Vive and other VR equipment

Not sure if there is a thread for these things, but I'd for sure like to hear about any and all experiences with these things. Mine hasn't arrived yet, unfortunately kind of missed the hype and didn't pre-order (which may turn out to be good thing since the content doesn't seem to be where it should be yet either, I guess). VR sure pushes the minimum system specs, especially in the GPU department. Nvidia 970 or AMD 290-series is said to be the minimum spec. Any thoughts, ideas, experiences?
    Both Vive and Rift seem to have pretty similar specs (minor differences in FOV, weight, comfort, but nothing too major I guess), both seem to have deliveries delayed (if you order now I think it's probably June? for Vive and August? for Rift?). Vive seems to offer a fuller experience out of the box with its controllers and room space tracking (or whatever), but Rift seems likely to pretty much catch up once its controllers are released later. My only experience with VR is a short test with Samsung phone and GearVR (I think that was what it was) and I'd be surprised if the tech wouldn't make it 'main stream' this year.

Re: Oculus Rift and HTC Vive and other VR equipment

Not to be negative, but all of this type of "gen 1" stuff just screams gimmick to me. The technology is neat, I just (personally) don't see a need for it.

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    Not to be negative, but all of this type of "gen 1" stuff just screams gimmick to me. The technology is neat, I just (personally) don't see a need for it.
    I can definitely see the need for it. Have you tried any of the systems? It just seems so much more immersive than any other experience, especially in gaming. I think you are partly right though with the gen1 comment (well, that's what it really is), but things will improve and I rather see it as a similar revolution in gaming (and there are other, very much unexplored possibilities still) as the introduction of 3D GPUs.

More powerful and power efficient GPUs and memory, developments in OLED and display tech and battery tech in general will make it possible to make VR glasses with higher resolutions (important although Rift/Vive really aren't really all that bad to begin with) and the headsets will become lighter, more comfortable and (what's probably most important) wireless. The driving force behind any of those things doesn't have to be VR tech itself, but rather cell phone tech, which is trying to tackle pretty much all the same goals. But I do predict VR itself will in 1-2 years time break out of the 'screams gimmick' status and thus become a driving factor as itself. I do think even the gen1 tech is ready to do this and will definitely be a money maker for its makers and will become a driving force for even PC development. Yet I wouldn't be surprised if it were Apple in the end that makes the actual breakthrough into mainstream (as it seemed to do with smart phones) and comes out with a simple, polished product for an immersive VR experience (Apple seems too tight-lipped about it).

Elite Dangerous, Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa (and probably many other simulator type of games) definitely make VR worth it. Haven't tested PS4 VR, but simulators are really Oculus Rift's department and roomscale VR seems to be HTC Vive's strong point. Rift wins somewhat in comfort IMO (lighter, not as bright, so not such a strain for longer use), Vive's Roomscale is another thing though (haven't tested Touch controllers yet for Rift) and does bring a lot to the table and there are some truly fun games. Some pingpong type of games, Space Pirate Trainer (sort of a VR remake of Space Invaders or sthng, actually quite fun), Pool Nation VR and Vanishing realms are some favourites of mine. Vive headset is a bit heavier, maybe a tiny bit more accurate head tracking though when moving sideways (perhaps not true, but my feeling about it, which may be due to different games/software used) and the brighter display may actually be a positive in some games. Due to different lenses the picture in Rift just seems a bit clearer, with a larger sweet spot, when looking around simply moving your eyes inside, slightly larger FOV (which naturally has its benefits) in HTC means a slightly stronger screen door effect as both HMDs have same resolution (the 'orientation' of the pixels as straight columns in Vive makes this likely also a bit more noticeable), but not a huge difference by any means.