Question Asus F2A85-M won't go into BIOS

Have a system with an Asus F2A85-M motherboard. Was the guts of my HTPC, just put the A10-5700 that was in it into a ITX mobo and small cube case.

Am trying to reuse this board in another system with an A4-5300b. But I can't get it to go into the BIOS so I can set things up. Have tried the jumper, replaced the CMOS battery, removed the battery and moved the jumper, still can't get in.

Screen will show Asus splash screen, I press DEL, get the next screen showing info and saying press F1 to enter Setup. Press f1 and get a blank, black screen. Press Ctl-Alt-Del, get the Asus splash screen, but then when I press Del I don't get that next screen, just stays black.

Now if I put a Linux distro in the dvd drive, it'll load Linux fine, I put a Win 10 dvd in and it would let me start the install (I aborted it cause I can't get to the BIOS to set AHCI and turn stuff on/off).

Bad BIOS chip? Should I try a USB flash booting DOS to reflash the BIOS?

UPDATE- can't get to any select boot device screen (F12 doesn't work).

Sam
    Last edited by scajjr; 05-03-2016 at 12:29 PM.
    Main- ASRock Z170 Gaming K4/i7-6700k/32 Gb DDR4 2400/Gigabyte GTX1080 Gaming G1 8Gb/Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb nVme SSD/ samsung 850 EVO 1Tb SSD/ Hitachi 3Tb HDD/Asus BW-12B1ST BD burner/EVGA 750w PSU/Vizio D40u-D1 40" 4K TV/Win 10 Pro x64

Re: Asus F2A85-M won't go into BIOS

usb keyboard ?

Try a ps2 keyboard

also try waiting a couple of minutes when it goes to the blank black screen.

i had that yesterday with a asrock board would appear to freeze with a cursor and a9 on the screen. it eventually went to the bios screen.

ud

Well after trying a few different things I was able to get into the BIOS and get it updated to 6508. How? well............

Found the Asus CD that originally came with the mobo. used that to boot into the FreeDOS on the CD. Got into the bupdater on the cd. Pointed it to the new (and renamed) .cap file on a USB stick. First 6-7 times it kept telling me it couldn't open the file, finally tried it one more time and lo and behold it worked. Rebooted, got the splash screen, the next screen showed bios was 6508, pressed F1 to enter setup and............. black screen.
    Scratching my head (again) wondered if using HDMI output may have something to do with it. So hooked up a VGA cable instead and instead of a black screen I was now in the BIOS. Got it set, installed Win 10 and it's good to go. Using HDMI out as well.

So a PITA and a learning experience all in one

Sam
    Main- ASRock Z170 Gaming K4/i7-6700k/32 Gb DDR4 2400/Gigabyte GTX1080 Gaming G1 8Gb/Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb nVme SSD/ samsung 850 EVO 1Tb SSD/ Hitachi 3Tb HDD/Asus BW-12B1ST BD burner/EVGA 750w PSU/Vizio D40u-D1 40" 4K TV/Win 10 Pro x64

The other day while visiting TX, my mom's computer went on the fritz. Wouldn't load the OS, could get into the first part of the BIOS of the mobo, but could not go to "advanced" section to actually change anything. Turned out the BIOS was well and truly screwed. Couldn't even force/recover flash it using the Flashback functionality. Ended up having to get a new board for her. It was an Asus AMD 970 based unit. Sounds sorta like the same thing. Wonder if there is a firmware bug, or they had a bad batch of BIOS chips that would corrupt out far sooner than they were supposed to?
    PCPer writer and podcaster
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/JoshDWalrath