My first Custom Water Loop

After an AIO failure I finally decided to start getting supplies and plans together for a custom loop. After seeing countless builds I knew I wanted to do hard tubing and started my research (mostly bugging O-Dog). And thanks to O-Dog I have finally finished my first custom loop...... but it is soft tubing. Definitely messed up and ordered all soft tubing compression fittings. hah
    Oh well, So I figured it would be a good practice run to build it with soft tubing, get an idea of the bends and tubing length I will need, and more practice with flushing/filling/draining the loop.

I drew out multiple setups, took pictures of my case, scaled them in photoshop, and then added the scale size parts into it. Surprisingly it actually worked for the most part. I did run into one issue that I can't really stand but you will see that in the photos below.

Tell me what you think and any constructive advise is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

Here are a couple of before pictures, the temp setup I had after my AIO loop leaked.
    Not the greatest cable management either.

So after removing all the cables, fans, and 5.25" dvd burner every thing looks a little cleaner.

Then I removed the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 evo and drilled the holes for the EK pump/res combo. Glad I took the extra time to make sure the lines were level so I only had to drill once. Nice to get it right the first time. I did mess up here in the plans, I wanted to mount a 140MM fan under the bottom tray where there is a spot for one, but.... with the pump in place it would take a lot of time and effort to get more than 2 screws into the fan. Didn't bother with it for the time being.

Here is where I mounted the 360 Rad up top, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how I wanted to do this (fans on top, fans on bottom, push air, pull air, etc...). After pondering this I basically stopped because I only really had the proper screws to do it one way anyway. So the fans are below the rad and pushing hot air out the top.

Next was installing the XSPC Raystorm CPU block. Very simple install and looks great. I didn't put the LED's in until the very end before leak testing.

Now its time to measure, cut, and install the soft tubing. I found this to be pretty straight forward and really easy compared to what I imagine the hard tubing replacement will be in a couple weeks. The second picture shows my biggest problem, with the hard tubing plan I measured out I wouldn't need so much extra tubing in the bottom bay. But since the soft tubing was kinking so easy I had to add a bunch of extra tubing to prevent it from kinking off of the Y valve heading back up to the CPU. Not a huge deal but now it makes it a pain in the ass to drain the system since my actual drain isn't the lowest part.

Close up of the drain system

Finally fired it up for leak testing. It was about 3:30am at this point and I was ready to let this thing sit with the sys prep in it for the night and check in the morning.

Well, everything tested out great. Drained the system, filled it, and went with a UV blue dye for now.
    Here is the before and after.

Still haven't decided on a lightning preference yet. Here is a link to some pictures I took of the lightning effects.

http://imgur.com/a/X2J9w

Currently just running a white LED light to see the coloring of the liquid and just the LED's off the CPU block.
    Last edited by AceMaverickPain; 05-08-2016 at 07:37 PM.

Re: My first Custom Water Loop

Looks good Tony,

do you have a "kill coil" in the loop somewhere?

No kill coil, the fluid is treated with a biocide. plus I will be draining this and going to hard tubing in a couple weeks. The Mayhem pastel fluid doesn't require a kill coil

Looks terrible and I hate it.

good job.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

I actually realized after talking to you it is stupid to bring the tubing down past the bottom tray. Instead I want to talk to you about flow issues if I just place a 180 degree T fitting at the output of the pump. Sending just one section of hard tubing down to the bottom area with the drain port and then routing the hard tubing straight up to the cpu block instead of looping down and back up.

Quote Originally Posted by AceMaverickPain View Post
    I actually realized after talking to you it is stupid to bring the tubing down past the bottom tray. Instead I want to talk to you about flow issues if I just place a 180 degree T fitting at the output of the pump. Sending just one section of hard tubing down to the bottom area with the drain port and then routing the hard tubing straight up to the cpu block instead of looping down and back up.
    That was my recommendation the whole time! There will be no issues setting it up like that.

Trust me, I do science

Well I bent 3/4 of the tubing so far and I feel like it is mostly done properly..... But I also know that I still have all the soft tubing in place and will probably have to redo most of the tubing when it comes to refitting it all with the hard tubing. The only thing I regret is going with the 3/8 x 1/2. It just looks so much skinnier then the soft tubing. Oh well it still gets the job done and will look 100x better then the soft tubing. I plan on bending the last piece tomorrow night and then setting it all up saturday for the final out come. I'm thinking white pastel first, but i also have red pastel so I can be like the amazing OG O-D-O-G

Quote Originally Posted by AceMaverickPain View Post
    The only thing I regret is going with the 3/8 x 1/2.
    This is pretty much the standard size everyone uses, with 10mm/13mm being the metric alternative. There are a few options for 1/2 x 5/8 or 12mm/16mm, but the availability of 3/8 x 1/2 or 10/13mm fittings is far greater.

Trust me, I do science

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Update 5/22/2016*

I have finally finished the hard tubing for the computer. Much happier with this by far and way easier to drain now also. Below you can see the process

Started off with just the fist bend to the CPU block, note the res is not full, those are just droplets on the res. I went with the monsoon hard tube compression fittings with their own locking collar (more on that later). I also removed the GPU as a just-in-case-I-mess-something-up insurance policy.

Next was the new drain port, Just one tube down with a sort of "dead leg" in the system. Way easier to drain now.

Removing old fittings and installing the new monsoon ones.

These are the fittings, they come with an acrylic collar that you seal to the end of the tube, then the fitting grabs onto the collar and not the tube. Makes for a great fit, very strong, and I didn't have to make the tolerances absolutely perfect for a great fit. Really happy with these and their ease of use.

At this point all of my bending is done. I reversed the flow in the Rad from when I had soft tubing and gave myself a lot more clearance over the ram sticks than I had originally measured out. This is right before leak testing also.

Leak testing was a success, flushed the system what felt like 50x to get all the blue dye out, and filled her up before putting it back together.

All back together and working perfect!

Before with soft tubing and the after with hard tubing.

----------
    The fill video, just because its the best part:
    Last edited by AceMaverickPain; 05-22-2016 at 08:39 PM.